PTO shaft stuck on tractor

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #1  

hr3

Veteran Member
Tractor
7610 hst
I have a b7610 Kubota ,, When I hooked up my Woods tiller this spring I forgot to spray the PTO coupler that has 3 balls in it.. Now the coupler is stuck on the tractor.. To remove you push a color forward while pulling on the u joint and shaft..
It won't move,, tried wiggling and spraying wd 40 all over it but it won't pull off.. Any Idea's ?????

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #2  
Are you sure you push the collar forward? On one I had I thought I rotated it a bit and pulled it back.

Search is your friend
Same yoke as my Rhino SE5 has. Turn the big ring clockwise, hold it, and pull the PTO shaft off the tractor.

To reinstall, slip the shaft onto the tractor shaft splines, it will go on about an inch, then twist the ring clockwise and push it further onto the shaft. You can now let go of the ring, and push it all the way onto the shaft. When the lock balls get to the retention notch in the tractor's PTO shaft, the ring will snap back to its normal position. Give the shaft a good push and pull forward and back to make sure it's secure, and you're good to go.

Easy as pie ;)

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #3  
Are you sure you push the collar forward? On one I had I thought I rotated it a bit and pulled it back.

Search is your friend

Every Woods implement I own (4 of them) requires the collar to be pulled back (no rotation required). I suggest hr3 try that.
If it's still stuck, use Fluid Film or a good penetrating oil.

BTW, never force a PTO drive shaft on the tractor's stub shaft. It should slip on fairly easily.

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor
Every Woods implement I own (4 of them) requires the collar to be pulled back (no rotation required). I suggest hr3 try that.
If it's still stuck, use Fluid Film or a good penetrating oil.

BTW, never force a PTO drive shaft on the tractor's stub shaft. It should slip on fairly easily.

I'll try pulling back on it and see what that does..

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #5  
I did the same thing with my bushhog once. The coupler will move both forward and back and I was pulling back on it, but on this one, you have to push forward. This makes it easy to hook up, but a be-atch to unhook. PUSHING forward while pulling back is a bit hard to do.

I do suspect that you are moving the coupling the wrong way.

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #6  
Yes like others have said , soak it let it sit. On mine the collar springs back with tension and slides back. You all just reminded me I have mine out back under cover in field and will go spray and grease it. :thumbsup:

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #7  
I've sometimes run into a situation where the splines are worn and the telescoping shaft needs to be rotated in the opposite direction to remove. The splines don't wear in the area of the groove where the balls seat on the pto shaft. That causes the telescoping shafts yoke to "hook" onto the pto shaft.

For those of you that have spring loaded yokes that are a pain to attach and remove I took mine apart and put a lighter spring inside. It made a huge difference in how hard the pto yoke was to attach and remove.

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor
No worn splines.. and the color ring pushes forward to release the balls that hold it on.. I tried a lever to pry it off as I push the ring forward but it's a sob to do..

Any other suggestions ???

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #9  
I agree with several above. Most collar type releases need to be pulled back to release.

Spray it down with Fluid Film or similar and be patient.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ PTO shaft stuck on tractor #10  
After you spray with a penetrant, let the mower run awhile. The vibration will help the penetrant do its work.