Mowing ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #1  

jdp

Tractor
Kubota B 2320
I mow with a Kubota 2320 with King Kutter 5' finish mower. The PTO shaded area on tachometer requires an engine speed of about 2800 RPM. This RPM results in a relatively high fuel consumption. I have found mowing with 2000 RPM engine speed gives me good results, plenty of power/speed in mid gear range, and lower fuel use.

Is there any negative from mowing at this lower engine RPM? Shouldn't this also result in lower engine wear? Any technical info on this would be appreciated.

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #2  
Many mowers suffer a bad cut with anything less than PTO speed. If you are getting a good cut and not lugging the engine, nothing wrong with going with less RPM.

As far as engine wear, they are designed to run ad WOT all the time so you aren't damaging the engine running it at PTO speed and running a few hundred RPM less should be of no consequence good or bad as long as the motor is not too heavily loaded.

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #3  
If you look back, there are many threads on this subject...I think the general concensous is as Gary said...most run at full PTO speed. That said, Im usually about 300 rpms less than full PTO, unless in the heavy thick stuff.

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #4  
Gary is right with his response!

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #5  
If I only had a 540 PTO I let the grass tell me what I have to do with the ground speed and engine rpms. As long as I know the engine is not lugging I tweak for what cuts/feels/sounds good. I don't worry about it.

Mark

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #6  
On my bush hog I run about 1800 rpm and that tackles everything- saplings to grass. 2400 is what I should use according to the manual and speedo but it feels like over kill when I do. For most everything, 1500 works great. I have a gear tractor - I wonder if that makes a difference.

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #7  
blade tip speed of a finishing mower... if the blades are not rotating fast enough, you may be bashing the blades into the grass and ripping the grass vs cutting the grass. and/or the vacum effect of various blades require a certain RPM / blade tip speed to pull grass up "example your tire marks in the grass" to pull the pushed down grass back up into the blades. possibly requiring an extra pass to cut the grass.

with above said, there is to much lawn that needs to be mowed here and i am not wanting golf course grass / lawn, but just wanting to keep things looking half way decent and keep the weeds in check. so tend to run at highest gear possible and highest RPM's i can on the mower. but i keep some lead way, in the throttle. so when i get into thicker / wetter grass, i can move throttle / rpm's up some vs down shifting into a lower gear to get through the given area.
other words find your sweet spot of tractor / equipment at a given ground speed for what the grass is like.

use it and abuse it, only comes with good maintenance of greasing all the zert fittings on the deck to checking all the fluid levels and filters as needed on the tractor.

other issues.....
if you are running finishing mower off of PTO, and hit a stick, and don't have a slip clutch inline with the PTO shaft or a "shear bolt NOT a regular bolt but a SHEAR BOLT" to protect your drive train, and already running engine low in RPM's greater chance of doing some sort of damage. granted belts on a finish mower should slip before damage to tractor, but if you have not hit a good size limb or ran over a brick or something... and/or going through thicker grass / taller grass and have not stopped the blades dead in there tracks, you haven't been mowing.

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #8  
I have been mowing at less than rated full PTO RPM for years. The yards always looks fine, my equipment has never been damaged & I have used a lot less fuel.

/ ENGINE RPM WHEN MOWING #10  
I've found most jobs can be accomplished quite nicely at 1700 to 2000 rpm in midrange on my MX5100 with 72" roughcut or tiller, and for my 84" boxblade, same rpm in low range