Raising the FEL

/ Raising the FEL #1  

Retired LE

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
Dumb question time: I see many operators raise the front end loader buckets on their machines while operating the tractor in the field - typically while mowing or bailing. I am not talking just a little bit here - but way high.

Logic would dictate that this would be the wrong thing to do given what Mr. Fulcrum and Dr. Leverage have taught us. Having that much weight that high up would seem to be a recipe for disaster if the tractor encountered a dip or other obstruction. I was always taught that you should keep the load as low as possible (especially with forklifts) to keep the center of gravity as low as possible and to prevent tipping and loss of the cargo.

I can't believe they do it because the bucket obstructs their view, because if the bucket is kept just above the ground, it will be below the line of sight relative to the hood anyway.

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks for reading.

Mike

/ Raising the FEL #2  
I raise mine when mowing near a fence, it allows for better viewing and when next to a fence, with the loader out front, it doesn't take much of a mistake to hit the fence......don't ask how I know this!

/ Raising the FEL
Ok, I can see the logic in that. Reminds me of new corvette owners. The extended fronts usually had a few nicks and scratches from bumping into things.

Some of the operators I have seen are smack dab in the middle of their field with no obstructions even close - yet that front end loader bucket is up there in the clouds....

/ Raising the FEL #4  
I raise my bucket/FEL only when I need a better view out front. This ONLY happens when plowing snow and on the driveway and only when I round the corner and head down the mile long straight of the drive. Its just to dangerous to be "bucket HIGH" when out traveling around in the field. I guess some folks don't get a "high" from just driving the tractor and need the added push they must get from doing a job with the bucket up in the air. If you need to see out front and the bucket is in the way - Lord, just drop the bucket while mowing. The quick release on my Kubota FEL takes less than 30 seconds.

And LE - you are totally correct, it would not take much to have a serious accident out in the field with the bucket elevated.

And when I raise my bucket, plowing snow, its raised less than five feet - that's all I need for a clear view when plowing round the corner.

/ Raising the FEL #5  
Identical discussion about two months ago:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-loader-position-post3735348.html#post3735348

I don't get it either. This, and people working with the ROPS folded down are the two things I just can't grasp. Sure, there are times when you need to see better, but that isn't what I see happening. I see them rolling through the middle of a field with the bucket up in the air, and the ROPS folded down. Some of them will wind up as "don't do this" threads in the safety section here.

/ Raising the FEL #6  
In the old days when the grading tractors or skip loaders as some call them were 2 wheel drive we would raise the loader all the way up to transfer weight to the rear tires and help with traction. Most of the grading tractors then were Massey Ferguson which were affectionately called Fergies. A lot of the tractors didn't have ROPS. The modern 4X4 tractors make this practice un necessary but a lot of people still do it.

/ Raising the FEL #7  
I just take my loader completely off when I mow or run the tiller or really anything where I don't need the loader. I just can't stand having it sticking out there in front of me most of the time I am in a pasture and I really don't want to be replacing the posts or anything for that matter. As far as the ROP yea mine is always folded down. The tractor will not fit in the garage when it is up and if I put it up low and behold every time I forget before I go to the garage. I have been driving tractors since I was 9 years old and we never had any ROP or seatbelts on the farm so it really is just non issue with me I don't even think about it, except I do put it up if I am driving down the road or even if I take it somewhere on the trailer. Why I really don't know.

/ Raising the FEL #8  
In the old days when the grading tractors or skip loaders as some call them were 2 wheel drive we would raise the loader all the way up to transfer weight to the rear tires and help with traction. Most of the grading tractors then were Massey Ferguson which were affectionately called Fergies. A lot of the tractors didn't have ROPS. The modern 4X4 tractors make this practice un necessary but a lot of people still do it.

yup, I frequently do this with my Fergie when bucketing snow and trying to back up. Sometimes when it's icy and after I've dumped some snow, I can't back up on the ice. I'll lift the bucket high and I'll get the traction I need for reverse.. My plowing area is almost perfectly level so I don't worry about it being 'tipsy'. It also doesn't hurt that I have a 1200 lb backhoe on it. :)

I can't wait for my new Mahindra to arrive.

Last edited:
   / Raising the FEL #9  
Overall, seems like 5% of those who do it have a good reason and have awareness of how it changes weight/stability.
The rest do not, and drive with little or no awareness of their reduced envelope of safety.

Me, I drive with it low except when I need the front clearance or, rarely, better visibility. Once a low bucket prevented me from rolling the tractor when traversing a steep slope. The bucket hit the ground when tractor tipped (very slow speed) and stabilized it allowing me to stop, affix safety straps and wiggle out of the problem.

/ Raising the FEL #10  
If your slipping with a backhoe on the rear end it might be time to get some chains.