Ford New Holland 1920 battery question

/ Ford New Holland 1920 battery question #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
I went to start my tractor yesterday and the battery was dead. I may have left the key on, but I'm not sure, I wasn't really paying attention when I tried to start it.
I removed the battery and placed it on the charger. I then went to look for a replacement as this battery has been in service for more than 5 years. I'm not sure how old it is, it was in the machine when I bought it.
The battery is a Napa brand BCI code 31A..... Napa Model 7237.
I don't know if this is the correct battery or not, but the replacement or the closest one based on the BCI code retails for 157$.
That's more than I figured it would cost.

NAPA AUTO PARTS

I'm not sure if I need 1200 cc amps being that even in coldest conditions I have here, I still don't need the glow plugs. Our coldest temperature this winter was right at 32F. The engine is a 4 cylinder 121 c.i. naturally aspirated.
I understand that the alternator is sized for the load/battery and vice versa.
Can I use a smaller battery or do I need to fork over 160+ to NAPA?

/ Ford New Holland 1920 battery question
   / Ford New Holland 1920 battery question #3  
I also have a Ford 1920 which I purchased in 1994. The original battery was replaced during the early 2000's with a Walmart battery of 850 CCA. This past week I removed the battery from the 1920 and installed it in my mini x. I don't used the mini x very much so I bought a new battery for the 1920. I was only able to find a 800 CCA battery that would fit. I believe the group was 65. The battery has a 3 year free replacement with additional 2 years prorated. The price was either $105 or $109. Every vehicle that I own has a Walmart battery.

/ Ford New Holland 1920 battery question #4  
I know that this thread is more than a year old, but for anyone who needs to know:

A Group 75 battery fits the Ford 1920 just fine. It is $102 at Walmart, and has a 3 year warranty.
Home Depot sells an Exide group 75 for a few $ more, and with a 40 month warranty.