Overheating after mowing steep side slope

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #1  

ddb123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bad Boy MZ 42"
I had a scary experience mowing a side slope when the low-side front and rear tires sank into the soft side hill, creating a much steeper grade than I would have tried to mow. Over the course of several minutes, I carefully and slowly maneuvered to a safer position.

Five or 10 minutes later, I glanced down at my gauges and noticed that the temperature gauge was almost to the H. I shut it down and checked the motor. The coolant level was fine. The radiator grill had some debris but was not really obstructed. It is sitting in my yard right now. This all went down about 20 minutes ago.

My question: would the temperature issue be related to the fact that it was recently tilted for a while? I have had no issues with the tractor, no leaks, everything seems to be in order. Just rolled over 140 hours today.

Thanks for any wisdom, insight, or experience.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #2  
Not always the best thing to shut down when hot. You should idle down and try to bring the temp down first.

Was it your right side that sunk? Just an idea, but if severe enough, maybe created a bubble in the system somehow by making another high point in the system other than your overflow OR causing a trapped bubble escape and your overflow suck Air. But I think that is remote. Most likely due to rad screen build up. Clean up and see what happens.

Keep an eye on it.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope
I idled it for about two minutes before I shut it off, but the gauge didn't move. It wasn't in the overheat range, but it was one segment from H on my digital gauge.

It was the left side that sunk.

After letting it sit for about an hour, I went out and re-checked the fluids and everything was fine. I mowed for about 45 minutes and the heat gauge went pretty quickly up to one segment above half and stayed there. It usually stays right at half. My completely amateur guess is that having it tilted for several minutes (most of that running at PTO rpm until I realized I was going to take awhile getting it level again and lowered the rpm) caused the engine to heat up due to uneven oil distribution or something like that. Then it slightly cooled while sitting for an hour, but it wasn't going to get any cooler (or any hotter) while I was mowing at PTO rpm, hence why it stayed slightly above its usual position.

That might be completely crazy, but that's my guess for now. I am going to wait until tomorrow to finish mowing and see what it does.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #4  
Do you have a secondary screen behind the grill ???

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #5  
I idled it for about two minutes before I shut it off, but the gauge didn't move. It wasn't in the overheat range, but it was one segment from H on my digital gauge.

It was the left side that sunk.

After letting it sit for about an hour, I went out and re-checked the fluids and everything was fine. I mowed for about 45 minutes and the heat gauge went pretty quickly up to one segment above half and stayed there. It usually stays right at half. My completely amateur guess is that having it tilted for several minutes (most of that running at PTO rpm until I realized I was going to take awhile getting it level again and lowered the rpm) caused the engine to heat up due to uneven oil distribution or something like that. Then it slightly cooled while sitting for an hour, but it wasn't going to get any cooler (or any hotter) while I was mowing at PTO rpm, hence why it stayed slightly above its usual position.

That might be completely crazy, but that's my guess for now. I am going to wait until tomorrow to finish mowing and see what it does.

I think it's pretty unlikely that uneven oil flow caused that change in temperature, and when it sat for an hour the temperature should have dropped dramatically....like 100* less.

If the temperature is running higher than normal, there is a reason of some kind, and it's not likely that the system is out of cooling capability.

Did you open the hood and check both sides of the radiator, and the screen (assuming it has one) for debris?

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #6  
Shine a flashlight through the radiator and make sure you can see light through all of it on the other side. I bet this is a coincidence, you probably have quite a bit of crud in your core and the tipping deal had nothing to do with it. This time of year we get calls all the time about mowing and overheating, 99% of the time on a newer tractor it is that the radiator (air side, not internal) is blocked, and sometimes it is not obvious as it is deeper within the core and all the external chaff has been cleaned. Go with that first would be my suggestion. PS, glad you didn't put the rig on it's side.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope
Well you guys were right about the radiator screen. I had just glanced at it and it looked pretty clean, but after reading your comments I took it all the way and there was a ton of debris near the bottom. The radiator grill itself was pretty much pristine. After cleaning the screen, I mowed for another 45 minutes or so and the temperature stayed at 50% the whole time.

I am surprised that the radiator would be much less effective despite being only 25% or so blocked. I guess I learned two important lessons today. I call that a good day!

Thanks, everyone.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #8  
That's the great thing about this forums, as people are willing to give advice so others can learn . I started burning coal a couple years ago and love it , I never could have done it without the coal forum.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #9  
Compressed air is your friend. A blowgun with an angled end will help u get those corners. Every now and then, I like to spray down gently with a hose.

/ Overheating after mowing steep side slope #10  
I bought a 2 ft. long air gun from tractor supply with an angle head like mentioned above and it works really great.