Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up?

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #11  
Mine does that too. I'm new to diesels as well, ownership anyway, but I've never seen a diesel start up without a little puff of smoke. Maybe the new tier 4 stuff is different, but I've never seen one.

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #12  
Reading this thread about start up and stirred up a question I have.

When I start my Kubota B7800 I get a puff of smoke, whether cold or warm. The smoke is not white, it
is grey and sometimes darker.

I am new to tractors and diesels and don't know if they all do the same??

Diesels utilize compression based ignition. Some fuel is not fully ignited at start up so it seeps through as smoke.

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #13  
Reading this thread about start up and stirred up a question I have.

When I start my Kubota B7800 I get a puff of smoke, whether cold or warm. The smoke is not white, it
is grey and sometimes darker.

I am new to tractors and diesels and don't know if they all do the same??

Normal

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #14  
Mine does that too. I'm new to diesels as well, ownership anyway, but I've never seen a diesel start up without a little puff of smoke. Maybe the new tier 4 stuff is different, but I've never seen one.

My 2013 CK27HST smoked bad (filled the barn with white smoke) on start-up when following the procedure in the manual. That is to set throttle about half way. My dealer told me to leave throttle set on idle and start... no more smoke plus is sounds much better while cold. This works whether it's single digits or in the 90's.

Mike

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #15  
This depends on the work being done. As boggen states, if the tractor has been working hard, a cool down idling period is advised by most manufacturers. If this coincides for when you are off the tractor and jumping back on, you can leave it running. There is the safety factor of leaving a running machine but I'll leave that up to you. I once tipped my tractor over when i left it running as when i jumped off, my foot hit a gear shift lever. She backed up, high sided on a rock and over she went but this was an older JD machine with the gear levers in the middle of the tractor and I had pak boots on. I shut my tractor off all the time now as during the summer, I do not run it long enough for it to reach temp. I do it not for safety reasons but to conserve hrs and fuel. I estimate I save about 2 hrs worth of idling per season for a whopping 20 hrs of run time in 10 years. Fuel usage i don't know but it probably as minuscule as hours saved. If I were running a big 6 cyl tractor as opposed to a little 3 cyl, my mindset might make a bit more sense. I do not use the glow plugs at all during warmer months even if the tractor has cooled down over night.
I attached the roll over pic not to confirm the safety issue even if it does, but I thought the whole thing was rather comical especially when i needed the tractor rather quickly to yank off the stump the tree that was perched toward the house that was intentionally felled into a support tree. Fun days in the woods!

Whoa, that's a crazy picture.
1. Are you saying you intentionally felled the tree towards the house knowing another tree would catch it?
2. Can you just start up a rolled tractor after letting the fluids settle back, or do you have to pull injectors? Hydraulics?

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #16  
With a Tier-4, things change some. Never is there a black puff of smoke on starting, no smoke to see at all - ever. Try to avoid idling for any length of time more than the minute or two used for turbo cool down. I'll let it idle as long as necessary while hooking up attachments where top and tilt hydraulics or 3 point adjustment is needed, usually less than 5 minutes or so. Due to trying to avoid loading up the DPF, I never let it idle unnecessarily when a shut down and restart will work.

For cold starts, I use 1/3 throttle and almost twice the glow plug time Kubota recommends, otherwise is staggers and bang along on less than all cylinders for 5 - 10 seconds. When the engine is warm, no glow plug time needed.

bumper

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #17  
Whoa, that's a crazy picture.
1. Are you saying you intentionally felled the tree towards the house knowing another tree would catch it?
2. Can you just start up a rolled tractor after letting the fluids settle back, or do you have to pull injectors? Hydraulics?

Yes. did this trick all the time as a professional logger.. The distance between each tree is a critical point as is the comparison of canopy spread between the two trees. You also want to make sure the "catch" tree is at least as big as the felled one. A felled tree does not build speed at first... This particular time the tractor was actually running and I had to shut it off. There was no hydrolock which can ruin an engine and is why it is suggested to do all that stuff. I righted the tractor and proceeded to pull the tree off the stump. I changed nothing but the engine oil afterward.

/ Shut it down, or continue long idle times, and glow plugs needed after warmed up? #18  
Yes. did this trick all the time as a professional logger.. The distance between each tree is a critical point as is the comparison of canopy spread between the two trees. You also want to make sure the "catch" tree is at least as big as the felled one. A felled tree does not build speed at first... This particular time the tractor was actually running and I had to shut it off. There was no hydrolock which can ruin an engine and is why it is suggested to do all that stuff. I righted the tractor and proceeded to pull the tree off the stump. I changed nothing but the engine oil afterward.

What about your underwear?