Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad)

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #1  

PearlWhiteGT

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland T1510
Is it a good idea to use my own tractor and brush hog to make some extra spending cash? I work a full time job with weekends off & have a New Holland T1510 with a 5ft Brush Hog just sitting in my garage. We only use to keep the fence lines and camp area clean at our ranch. So been thinking if it would be a good idea to maybe pick up a few vacant lots or small acreage places to mow on my time off for some extra money. Any of you fellas do this or recommend not doing it? Any advice and info would be great.

Thanks!

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #2  
couple issues.. liability and insurance come up to the top quickly..

Then will someone pay you want you need to make an hour to cover: you + equipment + fuel + insurance + wear/tear + breakdowns??

most ppl arent willing to pay you +/- $50/hr (probably lowest price you should be at).. YES you can do it for cheaper than someone else, but what happens when you hit that hidden stump or cut a tire?

I know i offered to mow a neighbors yard for $45 - just to help them out after they moved and it would take about an hour.. Ran over their septic tank observation pipe sticking out of the ground (trip to lowes and $10 to buy a new one), then i caught my umbrella on a guideline off the power pole and broke a umbrella rib (never fixed it, but would have cost $50 if i had).. Didnt make money on that deal overall

Brian

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #3  
There was a guy a few years ago that charged $ 25.00 per acre. I quit looking or even thinking about it after hearing that.

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #4  
Read old posts on this and hear some of the many nightmares. Like me running over a horse drawn plow in a "clean" field, and the hours it took to get my heavy duty bush hog working again. Hours = $$$$$$

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #5  
Hit a fire extinguisher once and chopped the top off. It took off like a rocket. Never again. What if that had launched through a car windshield and caused an accident and people died? Do you have insurance for that?

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #6  
If you do it... You will find that if the job is easy, most of the time people won't hire you. If it looks like a hard job with some hidden "unknowns" they would prefer you tear your stuff up and if you break something of theirs, they may want you to help fix it.

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #7  
Dealing with the general people sucks most of the time. I do a lot of odd jobs like that, but only for people I know or who has a good reputation. I carry liability on my equipment through Farm Bureau Insurance. I've done brush hogging, chainsaw, tree work,driveway blading/hauling gravel and dirt, and my wife mows on the side also. Fixn to start hiring out with my backhoe also. It's risky, I would walk any thing I had to bush hog if I wasn't familar with it first. You got to figure your cost and time. If someone thinks your to high, walk away. Equipment is not cheap or cheap to fix. Above all, be safe. LUTT

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #8  
If I was going to mow some overgrown lot or parcel, I'd either charge a premium for it or I'd only do it if they agreed to a minimum number of mowings after that.

Chances are they'll let you tear your equipment up hitting the hidden "surprises" mowing it the first time, and then some lowballer will come along and undercut your price on future mowings.

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #9  
I do it. It is not without drawbacks,but I do OK. $50 is about right for easy stuff. Don't be afraid to charge more for harder stuff or just walk away. I spend about 1 hour maintenance for each 10 hours mowing. I make most of my cheese with building lots and code violations for the county. A good day mowing a pretty farm while listening to some good music may be the best way to earn a living that there is. A 100 degree day at at someone's personal junkyard with some hills and ditches thrown in is the exact opposite.

/ Mowing With Own Equipment For Extra Cash (Good or Bad) #10  
Risky business. BTDT