Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start?

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start? #1  

Old Gray Mare

Silver Member
Tractor
'96 Massey Ferguson 1250 4x4 w/1246 FEL, 6' LandPride rear blade, ABI rock rake, Farnam 8' double arena harrow.
:newhere:

Here's some history....I am a 64-year old female and bought the Massey Ferguson 1250 4WD diesel new in 1996 in Idaho. It has been flawless throughout it's 439 hour lifetime. Always started, even after sitting in sub-freezing temps in blizzards. Brought it with me to Ash Fork, AZ 4 years ago and it has/is my work partner.

Last week I used it to get some guys unstuck in the muddy road. The tractor did a perfect job and I drove it home (about a mile) and parked it as usual. The next day, go to start it and all I get is the sound of the glowplugs and a single "click" when the key is turned to start. The idiot lights lit up, horn works, turnsignals, etc. Turn the key off and another single click. I checked ALL of the fuses (even the 2 slow-blow ones), thoroughly cleaned and reinstalled the battery cables, cleaned and redid the ground strap, made sure everything was in neutral and PTO off. Still the same scenario. I checked the battery with a multimeter and it read 12.5V. I added distilled water to 2 of the cells that were real low.

I *think* it is a safety switch? The one for the seat was disconnected right after I bought it (the dealer did it for me) and I understand there is one for the transmission? Where is it located? Also, how do I test the starter or solenoid? I read that it can be jumpered? Huh?

Please keep in mind that I am an old lady that is not afraid to get greasy, but I have limited knowledge on tractor mechanics.

Thanks a bunch ;)

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start?
No, it is from 2006 and never has stuttered at all.

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start? #4  
With all you've checked so far I think you've done really well in my opinion. Try to check the battery voltage on the clamps while turning the key to see if the voltage drops more than half a volt. If it does then check it again right at the battery terminals. You can also check the starter solenoid (thick wire) and see if it's getting a solid 12 volts. If you get the 12volts there and there's not a ground issue then the solenoid may be bad.

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start? #5  
8 years for a battery, might be time for new one? Could try jumping at the starter solenoid , dangerous thought

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start? #6  
12.5V on the battery at rest isn't necessarily 12.V under starting load. You have an 8 year old battery. Replacing it would be money well spent. Or try jump starting it. If it jump starts I would suspect the battery at fault.

Thanks for the input!

I live alone, but I think I can set the tester so I can see it while I turn the key on.

How do I test the solenoid or starter? Please be specific :)

I have a battery charger that has a jump setting. OK to try to jump the tractor with it? My only vehicle is a '93 GMC diesel that is too big to get to where the tractor is parked.

Thanks again!!

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start? #8  
My best guess would be your battery is toast.
If you can get it out, take it to someone who can load test it.
That will show you real quik, if the battery has any life left in it.
If you cann,t get it out, put the charger on it overnite, and see if it will start in the morning.
Please let us know what you find to be the problem.
I would think you should be alright in trying to boost your battery in the jump setting.

/ Can an old lady get her MF1250 to start? #9  
If you can get it to jump start that means all your starting innards are working. Just means a weak battery. I have a 7 year old tractor battery. I will have to replace it before cold weather comes here. It's starting to get weak.

I'll hook up the charger tomorrow. Is it OK to leave the battery hooked up as is, or do I have to remove the terminals? Would you advise to hook up the black charger lead to the tractor frame or to the negative battery post?

If the battery is weak, would it still power the glowplugs and lights, but not the starter? :confused3:

Thanks again...you all are great!!