Is a cab top heavy?

/ Is a cab top heavy?
If you operate in conditions like Rick(rigustafson) does - you will surely need something to stop all that dust. I would think that in those conditions an open station and the world's best dust mask would soon become intolerable. I have an open station tractor so this time of year when I do any dirt work on the property I'm very aware of the direction the wind is blowing. I don't mind the dust as long as I can stay up wind - and that is my limitations. Also, if I were going to use a rear cutter, which I don't, I would have most definitely purchased a cab unit when I bought this new tractor.

The quandary is that I only use the tractor for contract mowing a couple of months out of the year in the summer. The rest if the year, it's parked. Upfront costs for a cab were hard to justify during the purchasing process. Now that severe allergies have come into play, the cab could be the only way I can keep my little side business going. As of now, I wear a mask. It does OK however I still have to take large amounts of over the counter medications that I hate. Decisions......

/ Is a cab top heavy? #12  
The quandary is that I only use the tractor for contract mowing a couple of months out of the year in the summer. The rest if the year, it's parked. Upfront costs for a cab were hard to justify during the purchasing process. Now that severe allergies have come into play, the cab could be the only way I can keep my little side business going. As of now, I wear a mask. It does OK however I still have to take large amounts of over the counter medications that I hate. Decisions......
A cab may not totally help you with your allergies, but it will lessen the amount of pollen that gets to you. The biggest thing for me is the climate controlled factor; no dust blowing in your eyes (although most cabs wont keep out 100% of dust due to all the opening for pedals and controls) rain proof, sun proof, snow proof, if you like to listen to music, most come with a radio and CD player, QUIET-no need for hearing protection and most come with cloth seat so your bum doesn't sweat like on a plastic seat. Nothing like bush hogging all day and then getting out with clean nose and clothes.

Yes they are expensive, in the neighborhood of $5K or more, but it is worth the cost for me in comfort factor alone plus the 4 post system it good for falling objects also. Down side is you have to have your shed tall enough for the extra height (no fold down anything to reduce the overall height)

/ Is a cab top heavy? #13  
If you plan on leaving your tractor parked outside, or if you plan on using it a lot in winter, a cab will be a real blessing and well worth the extra cost. I have taken the large exterior mirrors off mine since they kept getting whacked by tree branches. I have also managed to pretzel the slow-moving vehicle sign bracket and break off the roof antenna with unintended encounters with trees...but I, myself, haven't been stung by hornets or been whacked by branches or choked by dust or plopped my butt down in a wet seat or come home coated in snow after blowing out the lane... I'd insist on a cab for my next tractor, too.

/ Is a cab top heavy? #14  
The cab does add more weight but isn't a big deal imo. The Deere cab and presume most new cabs are pretty tight and pressurized to keep out airborne dust, air should leak out of any openings. If you have allergy problems it is a no brainer to me.

/ Is a cab top heavy? #15  
Cab for sure;really, top heavy.Some tube steel and plastic,a little air conditioning equiptment some glass.Can't really add a lot of top weight.Very few non-cabbed tractors in our area on the farms.

/ Is a cab top heavy? #16  
amen brother , me neither. I can cut hay, or grass all day in 97 degree temps and not be totally stopped up the rest of the week.

/ Is a cab top heavy? #17  
I just went from an open station L3400 to a cab tractor. Spent 4 hours brush hogging weeds that ranged from knee to shoulder high a couple of weeks ago and my allergies weren't bothered in the least. I wouldn't have been able to breathe out of my nose for a week using the L3400. I was smiling the whole time.

/ Is a cab top heavy? #18  
Get the cab. You will not regret it. I have some steep hills and as long as I go slow I've never had any issues. See some of my other postings to see pictures of my hills.

/ Is a cab top heavy? #19  
L3200 002 ridotta.jpg

cab weight 220 kg only, with ROPS (anti roll over) certification

:)

tractor cabs, rigid enclosures and sunshades for kubota

Attachments

• L3200 002.jpg
    L3200 002.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 103