Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #1  

paintedwerewolf

Tractor
john deere 1986 450E dozer
I have a 1986 J.D. 450E dozer. When trying to charge the batteries do I put the leads on the same battery or do I put the ground on one and positive on the other? If this doesn't fix problem any suggestions other than cleaning all positive and negative contact points. Please help. thanks

Last edited:
   / Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #2  
I assume it's negative ground. If so, I would ground to a good clean ground, preferably on the engine and positive to the battery positive to jump start.

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #3  
Both charger leads(+ to + & - to -) on same battery will charge both batteries.

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #4  
Are the batteries connected in series to provide 24V to the dozer or are they wired in parallel. If wired in series (pos of one battery connects to neg of second battery), charge each battery separately for a few hours each then try to crank over. If wired in parallel (pos to pos & neg to neg) then charging one will charge both.
Also, how old are the batteries? Maybe one has a dead cell.
Do you have 2 more batteries you can swap in to test?

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer
I have two batteries wired positive to positive and both grounds are body grounded.

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #7  
Not sure but is the JD450E not a 24 volt system? if so that would explain why the slow starter action.
Most equipment in that category is 24 volts.

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #9  
Not sure but is the JD450E not a 24 volt system? if so that would explain why the slow starter action.
Most equipment in that category is 24 volts.

450E is 12 volts
TY6702 STARTER MOTOR 1 (12-VOLT) (REMANUFACTURED) (DELCO-REMY) (INCLUDES SOLENOID COVER KIT)

/ Slow crank on J.D. 450E dozer #10  
One bad battery and one good battery....the bad one will just kill you. Test each battery on its own. Could be you have just one that has given up the ghost. M1009's are the same kind of deal....or I guess I should say where.

Same goes with cables everywhere....if one is iffy you have the same kind of issues.

Personally I would charge the batteries one at a time, or if you have two chargers that is better. I could charge them with nothing connected to them if possible.

If all that is ok, you are to what you talked about, cleaning grounds and connections, then checking the starter and such. Last ditch would be a direct feed to the starter with a remote switch that would take as much out of the question as possible.