Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Farm Pro 2425

Default Re: Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower

Thanks for all the replies, I ran the finishing Mower at 540 at around 2000 RPM yesterday for a few hours and it was fine, no overheating and definitely not as loud, it cut the grass fine. I plan on using the big mower more this weekend, probably at 540 also to cut some more of the rough stuff. I guess I need to keep the tractor geared where the engine RPM are around 2000, that's where the green line is on the tach. I think I was running it a too low an engine RPM while I was mowing at 1000 rpm before, maybe that why it got so hot.

I have two levers for High/Low on on the tractor, one on the transmission area next to the main shifter and the other more under the seat. I am not sure the difference of these two range settings other than the gearing of the transmissions, I have read there are 12 forward and 4 reverse gears, that would make sense (its a three speed, with the two range shifters). I guess I need to plan to just keep the engine RPM around the green mark whenever I mow.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2000 and 3000; Branson 6530C with FEL

Quote Originally Posted by robmc5 View Post
    I think I was running it a too low an engine RPM while I was mowing at 1000 rpm before, maybe that why it got so hot.

I have two levers for High/Low on on the tractor, one on the transmission area next to the main shifter and the other more under the seat. I am not sure the difference of these two range settings other than the gearing of the transmissions,
    There is a certain work function involved in what you are doing with associated losses. To remove these losses from the tractor you need a certain amount of air across the radiator coils. Running too low an engine speed with a high work function can do as you experienced. Get your 540 lever engaged and run your engine at the green line unless you can see that dropping off 10% to get quieter operation won't result in overheating.

Agree with others on fluid changes including radiator flushing and new 50-50 coolant. Flushing out the fins/tubes is also usually a daily event under dirty conditions and "hogging" is usually just that.

Mark

Tractor
    Farm Pro 2425

Thanks again for all the responses, the tractor was recently maintained. I am now mowing at 540 with the engine at about 2400 RPM, she'd running fine!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12