Mowing Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #1  

robmc5

Tractor
Farm Pro 2425
I recently came across a deal on a FarmPro 2025 hp 4x4 tractor with a bush-hog, box-blade and finishing mower. I have never owned a tractor but since I just built a house on about 10 acres I really need it.

I first want to say this is a great forum, it has already solved one question for me!!

Here is my other question...When running the finishing mower should I run it at 1000 RPM or 540 RPM? It seems to cut fine at 540 and at 1000 RPM its really loud. The same for the Bushhog, what RPM? There are two High/Low gear levers, what are the differences in these, and should I be running in a certain gear for mowing? I cut my front yard yesterday with the finishing mower at 1000 rpm with both levers in high and in first gear, it did fine but seemed to get pretty hot, the Coolant valve was boiling over.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #2  
I'm gonna say, without knowing anything else, the gearboxes on the mower and bushhog are set for 540 rpm. Running 1,000 rpm will greatly shorten their life. Almost every CUT implement is rated for 540 (I know there are exceptions, but I think they're pretty few).

As far as running speed, you typically want to run your engine at somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM (again, I'm making generalizations here). There may be a mark on the tach that indicates at what engine rpm you actually get 540 rpm on the PTO. You should have the tractor in whatever gear gives you a good cut for whatever grass you're cutting - and that depends on all kinds of other factors.

Have you already bought the tractor? How much have you used it?

Hope some of this helps - good luck and take care.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #3  
Not sure why you are boiling over but I would want to find out right off . I would suggest going in low range and at 540 rpm for sure unless it is stated to do otherwise. Great advice from above ,I run my gear tractor at 1800 - 1900 rpm most of the time when working it . Every tractor I have owned seems to have a sweet spot where the eng. seems to sound the best for what you happen to be doing and the load on it , you will get use to that in time . My hst or hydro I run at manufactures stated rpm speed when using the pto .

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #4  
I apologize - some folks were in my office talking while I was posting my reply (that's what I get for being on TBN at work) and I didn't quite finish my thought.

I'm not very familiar with FarmPro tractors other than I think that they are a badged Chinese tractor of some sort. I would imagine that the High/Low gear levers should be for transmission range, although I'm not sure why there are two.

If the tractor was running hot, you were probably either going too fast/running too hard or your radiator may clogged with grass or debris. If you don't have a manual, I would think that would be a good investment and could probably be had pretty cheap.

Once again, good luck and take care.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower
rtimgray and HEC, thanks for the quick replies. I do have the marks on the tach and I have been running it around 2000 RPM (the green line is there). I have had the tractor for less than a month and I am using it pretty regularly, but yesterday was the first time I used the finishing mower. I have been running the bush hog mostly, but I have been at 1000 rpm. The tractor is a 2005 with 750 hours on it but the bushhog looks pretty old. I want it to last, I already busted thru a couple of rusted areas on the top. The guy that had it before me just mowed fields of hay grass where he kept horses, I need it for a wooded area and another area where we clear cut for my house, lots of clear cut debris.

Thanks again for the advice, I am sure I will be a regular visitor on the site.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #6  
On our tractors with 540 PTO the only choice we run about 2200 engine rpms.With the 1000rpm(PTO) option I would think you could run about 1200 engine rpm to achieve the same thing and save fuel.I may be mistaken on this maybe someone will chime in on this.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #7  
Well my Max25 has two levers for the PTOs. The one lever is for the 540 PTO at the rear of the tractor. The other is for the 1000 RPM PTO under the center of the tractor. It is to run the MMM.

So you may want to look under the tractor and see if there is a second PTO.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #8  
On our tractors with 540 PTO the only choice we run about 2200 engine rpms.With the 1000rpm(PTO) option I would think you could run about 1200 engine rpm to achieve the same thing and save fuel.I may be mistaken on this maybe someone will chime in on this.

I would think this would be a viable option, because I'm sure the 540 is a plus/minus kind of thing. The only detriment would be if the tractor doesn't generate enough power in that range to handle the job at hand. Other than that, I don't know why it wouldn't work.

My Yanmar has 3 ranges for the PTO and I've used them with the tiller that came with it - although I get conflicting information on that - some folks say its okay and some say the 3 range PTO is only for water pumps that they use to fill and drain rice fields. Either way, I've used it in different ranges with no bad results so far, and I've only had it for 16 years.

Good luck and have fun. Take care.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #9  
There should be a mark on your tach that will be the 54o rpm at the pto. It should be close to max rpm for your diesel tractor. As this rpm on the motor will be putting out the rated HP. On diesels when using them with pto loads should be run a the higher engine rpm. When I mow, I run at 2500 engine, 540 PTO rpm.

/ Newbie question about bushhog and finishing mower #10  
I would take an air hose and blow out the radiator... I clog mine when mowing, I keep an eye on my temp. gauge. Do you know what maintenance has been done to the tractor? If not, I would think about changing all the fuilds.