How do you collect your oil

/ How do you collect your oil #11  
Not to be an alarmest, but dumping oil on the drive sounds like a good idea, if you never plan on drinking the ground water, selling your place, eating the fish in the pond, and you have a huge liability policy.

/ How do you collect your oil #12  
I measured the height under my tractor and then went to Wal-Mart and found a lot of cheap choices in household goods of large volume plastic containers. Get one with a lid so when its not being used it doesn't make a mess. Drained the hydo oil into this container (8 gallons) and then refilled the hydo from new 5 gallon pails. Once the 5 gallon pails are empty, and using a large funnel, I then dumped the old oil into the pails which have good seals and are easy to handle. As I recall the large container was in th 10-15 gallon capacity range and cost about $6.00. Hope this helps.

/ How do you collect your oil #13  
Please say you're joking... There are some big laws against doing that, and once it's done, you're responsible for the cleanup for all of eternity. If you sell your place and they do a soil sample you'll be responsible for the cleanup cost. To make things even worse, the EPA will swoop in and potentially list your property as a hazardous material site. I've seen it happen to a guy who was pouring used oil and antifreeze into a pit in his back yard. The stuff soaked down, showed up in a soil and water sample on someone else's property, and they traced the subterranian 'plume' of hazardous material back to the source. Needless to say, he's stuck with his property forever and has a clean-up lien on it for several million dollars.

Not pretty...

/ How do you collect your oil #14  
Tell me it's none of my durn business if you want but it's not smart (and possibly illegal in many places) to dispose of oil in that method. ESPECIALLY if you have a well because in time that oil will pollute the groundwater. Ditto for any neighbors who also have wells. Even without the wells to worry about it is a BAD way to dispose of used oil. I end up with about twenty to twenty five gallons a year of used oil and take it to the Amoco station where I have been a customer since 1983. They heat their building with used oil and are happy to get any I contribute.

PLEASE, recycle your used oil in some way...I will climb down off my soapbox now.

/ How do you collect your oil #15  
Just one gallon of used motor oil can ruin a million gallons of fresh water!

/ How do you collect your oil #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Please say you're joking...
)</font>

Mahlers you figured it out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif But I honestly figured there would be more replys than this.

On a more serious note, I put my oil in a 55 gallon drum. Like someone else mentioned, I use it for the chainsaws, and will use some of it to burn brush.

Merry Christmas!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ How do you collect your oil #17  
I was waiting on someone to say they drove their tractor into a shallow mountain stream and pulled the plug. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Such interesting reading.

Merry Christmas to you, too!

/ How do you collect your oil #18  
The former owner of the property here told me he used diesel to keep the weeds and grass down in the drive. I wish he'd never told me that /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ How do you collect your oil #19  
I was wondering what is the difference between the highway department using oil on the road shoulders and and pea gravel and oil on county roads and spraying oil on ones driveway? I also use the old oil for chain bar oil and lube for all the implements as it collects less dust than new oil. I'm a bit confused, buts that normal fer me. Im a newbee here have been reading the board for several weeks and enjoy all the comments and have learned a lot about tractors. Merry Christmas to all

/ How do you collect your oil #20  
The road crews spread an asphault emulsion that 'sticks' together really well. It doesn't soak down into the aquafer anywhere nearly as much as regular oil. I'm sure there is some bleeding of aromatic organics into the soil, but those tend to gas away pretty quick.

I grew up in the day where we saved up oil to paint our carports and foundation peers - the termites wouldnt' touch them. Also, if you saw a yellow-jacket hive someplace, hit it with a quart of used motor oil and it is toast.

Now adays, with a little bit of edumacation under my belt, I see the evil in our old ways. Used motor oil has just about every nasty volatile organic compound in it that you care to know about. It has a half-life long enough to be around when the cock-roaches inherit the earth, and just a little bit of it in our aquafer will destroy millions of gallons of pure water forever.

People like me that rely on our own water source, and my own water purification systems, tend to worry about these things more than the average joe. If my well gets contaminated, I'm in troooooooble.