How do you collect your oil

/ How do you collect your oil #1  

Ned_Horning

Tractor
JD 4310
I am about to do my 50 hour transmission/hydraulic oil change and am trying to figure out a reasonable way to collect the 6.3 gallons that I expect will come gushing out. I have a JD 4310 and I’m looking at drain pans but the ones I’ve seen in the auto parts stores are too small. Since this is a common task I figured that I’d check with other owners to see what works for them.

/ How do you collect your oil #2  
I bought this long fairly slender tub from Target to drain the oil. It fits nicely under the tractor. You can dispose of your oil by taking it to your local JD dealer or wherever new motor oil is sold.

/ How do you collect your oil #3  
I catch mine in buckets and run it in my chainsaw as bar oil or put it on my wagons and manure spreader for treatment of the wood etc.

/ How do you collect your oil #4  
I just did my Kubota B7500 50 hour service this past weekend. I drained a gallon or so at a time into an normal sized pan with pouring lip on it, then put the drain plug back in. Then, using a funnel, I poured the used hyd. oil from the pan into empty WW fluid jugs for disposal. I repeated this three times, then once more for the engine oil, it worked fine. The service was really very easy.

/ How do you collect your oil #5  
<font color="blue"> I’m looking at drain pans but the ones I’ve seen in the auto parts stores are too small. </font>
Welcome to TBN, Ned! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My local Advance Auto Parts has large, yellow, plastic drain pans that hold 5 gallons. I bought 2 of them. My TC25D has 3 drain plugs that are far enough apart that I could get 2 drain pans under all of them.

Update: Here's a picture. Can't be beat for only $6.00. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

353472-11845.jpg

The used oil went back into the 5 gallon container, plus some old 1 gallon milk containers. I took these back to the same auto store and dumped the oil into the oil recycling barrel. I kept the 5 gallon container for holding several oil changes at one time.

Attachments

• 353472-11845.jpg
    353472-11845.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 126
   / How do you collect your oil #6  
When I change the oil in my transmission and engine oil last month I used one of the yellow pans from Wal-Mart. Got the filters off the tractor and also drained all engine oil and filter without spilling a drop.
Poured it all into an old 5 gallon kerosene container. Put all the new filters and oil into the tractor. Checked out the tractor for leaks, did not find any. Put the tractor away for the night. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Next morning when I went out to take the full 5 gallon container to dealer and dump it in his storage tank there was oil all over the floor under the tractor. Followed the oil trail on the floor, the 5 gallon kerosene container had a small rust hole that allowed about 1 gallon of the dirty oil to drain out. Poured rest of the oil into another container. Knocked the funnel out of container and spilt some more that added to the mess already on the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have stopped changing my transmission oil because of problems like above. I do change my engine oil which always seems to leave a mess no matter how careful I am. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ How do you collect your oil #8  
Ned,

If you prepare for only 6.3 gallons of oil you may have an unpleasant surprise. When I did my 50 hr. transmission service I ended up with just over 8 gallons drained out of the system. My 4210 came with a loader and the 3rd SCV and I was prepared for more than what the factory said would drain from the system, glad I thought of that. Have a spare pan handy when you begin, also some extra new fluid. The 5 gallon drain pans are just about the perfect size to use.

/ How do you collect your oil #9  
When I did my 50 hour service, I drained all 15 gallons right onto the gravel driveway. It real controls the dust very well.

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

/ How do you collect your oil #10  
Yikes there Red Dog, I think they frown on draining the oil in the driveway, might want to collect it and return to a center somewhere. Just my .02 cents worth, Lloyd