Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tractor
    JD 4310

Default How do you collect your oil

I am about to do my 50 hour transmission/hydraulic oil change and am trying to figure out a reasonable way to collect the 6.3 gallons that I expect will come gushing out. I have a JD 4310 and Iím looking at drain pans but the ones Iíve seen in the auto parts stores are too small. Since this is a common task I figured that Iíd check with other owners to see what works for them.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 990 MFWD and a few others

Default Re: How do you collect your oil

I bought this long fairly slender tub from Target to drain the oil. It fits nicely under the tractor. You can dispose of your oil by taking it to your local JD dealer or wherever new motor oil is sold.

I catch mine in buckets and run it in my chainsaw as bar oil or put it on my wagons and manure spreader for treatment of the wood etc.

I just did my kubota B7500 50 hour service this past weekend. I drained a gallon or so at a time into an normal sized pan with pouring lip on it, then put the drain plug back in. Then, using a funnel, I poured the used hyd. oil from the pan into empty WW fluid jugs for disposal. I repeated this three times, then once more for the engine oil, it worked fine. The service was really very easy.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    NH TC25D

<font color="blue"> Iím looking at drain pans but the ones Iíve seen in the auto parts stores are too small. </font>
    Welcome to TBN, Ned! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My local Advance Auto Parts has large, yellow, plastic drain pans that hold 5 gallons. I bought 2 of them. My TC25D has 3 drain plugs that are far enough apart that I could get 2 drain pans under all of them.

Update: Here's a picture. Can't be beat for only $6.00. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The used oil went back into the 5 gallon container, plus some old 1 gallon milk containers. I took these back to the same auto store and dumped the oil into the oil recycling barrel. I kept the 5 gallon container for holding several oil changes at one time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

When I change the oil in my transmission and engine oil last month I used one of the yellow pans from Wal-Mart. Got the filters off the tractor and also drained all engine oil and filter without spilling a drop.
    Poured it all into an old 5 gallon kerosene container. Put all the new filters and oil into the tractor. Checked out the tractor for leaks, did not find any. Put the tractor away for the night. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Next morning when I went out to take the full 5 gallon container to dealer and dump it in his storage tank there was oil all over the floor under the tractor. Followed the oil trail on the floor, the 5 gallon kerosene container had a small rust hole that allowed about 1 gallon of the dirty oil to drain out. Poured rest of the oil into another container. Knocked the funnel out of container and spilt some more that added to the mess already on the floor. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I have stopped changing my transmission oil because of problems like above. I do change my engine oil which always seems to leave a mess no matter how careful I am. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

Currently I use two 15 quart oil pans and take it to the recycle center for disposal.

Mike, I believe this is the 5-gallon drain pan you have.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Ned,

If you prepare for only 6.3 gallons of oil you may have an unpleasant surprise. When I did my 50 hr. transmission service I ended up with just over 8 gallons drained out of the system. My 4210 came with a loader and the 3rd SCV and I was prepared for more than what the factory said would drain from the system, glad I thought of that. Have a spare pan handy when you begin, also some extra new fluid. The 5 gallon drain pans are just about the perfect size to use.

Tractor
    Caterpillar 277

When I did my 50 hour service, I drained all 15 gallons right onto the gravel driveway. It real controls the dust very well.

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 336d w ldr,C,Cub,many attachments

Yikes there Red Dog, I think they frown on draining the oil in the driveway, might want to collect it and return to a center somewhere. Just my .02 cents worth, Lloyd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast