Over Heating

/ Over Heating #1  

ddmoreland53

Tractor
yanmar 1700
My yanmar 1700 is still over heating even after I bought the water pump conversion kit. Can only go for 20 25 minutes tilling and it boils out of the radiator. Can someone tell me what's up? I did the mixture 70-30 also.....????

/ Over Heating #2  
Make sure you keep your radiator screen clear ... it needs air to keep it cool!

Also, if it has happened more than once, and the engine has been drastically overheated, there's a chance you may have blown the head gasket or even cracked the block.

/ Over Heating
Ok, thanks. I appreciate the information. It has overheated on me twice, but I shut it down right away and don't believe I damaged anything....How will I know if I blew a head gasket? Anti freeze in the oil?

/ Over Heating #4  
Use compressed air, and clean out the radiator itself really well....you can't always see it from the front, so they can look clean but actually be plugged.

A blown head gasket can show several signs....oil in the antifreeze, antifreeze in the oil, and white smoke from the exhaust are three of the more common signs.

/ Over Heating #5  
Shutting down right away is not always the best idea. The tractor should have been unloaded before boiling over and operated at 1/2 rpms to cool down.
Is the water pump moving the coolant?
Is the stat opening?
50/50 coolant to distilled water is the mix.
Using tap water will plate out a layer of insulating minerals inside the rad.
Fan pulleys and belts that look good often are worn are slipping.

/ Over Heating #7  
Napa sells a "sniff" tester, you check the antifreeze with it and it will tell you if you
have a blown head gasket.

/ Over Heating #8  
Bubbles in the radiator with the engine running will be a sign also.

/ Over Heating #9  
I would take the radiator to the shop and have them boil it out. Next I would remove the thermostat and check it to make sure it's opening fully at the right temperature. To check the thermostat put it in a pot of water along with your wife's candy temp probe and watch the thermostat. It should be fully open by the time it reaches the temp stamped on the thermostat. I would run this test a couple of times to make sure it is not sticking. Make sure the spring is down in the block and the pointed end is facing towards the radiator.

/ Over Heating #10  
But again ... first step is to fully clean out the radiator screen & fins. This might be the only problem, and since its free, should be your first step