Duals... Opinions?

/ Duals... Opinions? #1  

Marveltone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111
Okay, here's the deal...

My Fordson Major Diesel is my main (biggest) tractor for ground engaging work, such as plowing, discing, planting, etc... and as such, it's ballasted accordingly with fluid (calcium) and cast weights in the rear wheels. My plow, disc, and cultivator are all tow-behind instead of 3pt, so front ballast has never been an issue. I'm guessing the weight to be somewhere between 7400-7900 lbs. Traction is not really the issue so much as flotation. My ground is soft. Really soft. It's sandy, loamy, spongy and many times never really quite as dry as I'd like. I feel like I'm constantly climbing out of a hole, as the wheel ruts drag the tractor down. I've been stuck four times so far this summer, the latest episode being today... Mid-July and I still can't get to some parts of my field. I've noticed that my renter has gone to triples on his Versitiles because my ground is so soft.

So here's the question in a multi-part format: Are duals for me? Will they give me the flotation needed? Will the added flotation free up a little horsepower (I only have 42hp to play with) to go forward instead of up and out of the ruts? Do I need to change my ballast to compensate? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Joe

/ Duals... Opinions? #2  
I would want to be certain that the Fordson was designed to handle duals. I don't think I've ever seen a small(under 100 hp) utility tractor running duals. I question if any small UT is designed for duals. Now the neighbors Versatile is a horse of a different color. They are definitely designed for duals - but triples ???? Duals will certainly provide added flotation - but at what price? No sense spending big bucks on duals and then snapping or breaking something.

I think a serious discussion with a dealer is in order. Opinions & folk lore are fine for some things but don't pay the bill if something breaks.

/ Duals... Opinions? #3  
I think your Fordson will handle duals just fine. I've seen several tractors as low as 60 hp with duals.

/ Duals... Opinions? #4  
Agreed, I've seem many smaller tractors wearing duals. Main thing is make sure the outer set is slightly smaller than the main drive wheels. Just running a set with half tread is sufficient. Otherwise you tear the ground up on every turn...

/ Duals... Opinions? #5  
oosik
A Fordson was built a lot heavier than today's utility tractors.

/ Duals... Opinions? #6  
Agreed, I've seem many smaller tractors wearing duals. Main thing is make sure the outer set is slightly smaller than the main drive wheels. Just running a set with half tread is sufficient. Otherwise you tear the ground up on every turn...

Another thing is run outside duals at lower pressure than inside tires.

/ Duals... Opinions? #7  
below image is from... TractorData.com Fordson E27N Major tractor photos information
2775-td4-b03.jpg

you said you wanted flotation ;)

regardless of 3pt hitch or pull behind. front weight is front weight and needs to be properly ballasted. more so if front tires are coming off the ground or getting rather light in the front.

/ Duals... Opinions? #8  
What tires are you turning now? R1 - Ag tires?

Maybe a change to R3 - Industrial tires will accomplish what you want.

/ Duals... Opinions? #9  
Agreed, front weight is needed regardless. When you are pulling hard, the weight on the front keeps the tractor pulling instead of trying to rotate on the rear axle. The power is going to go the way of least resistance, when you apply power to the rear wheels it can one of two things, either pull a load or lift on the front of the tractor. When you have the front properly ballasted to prevent the lift up front, it has nothing left it can do except pull or spin. With the weight up front you'll find you don't lose traction as often and won't dig as badly when they do.

/ Duals... Opinions? #10  
With duals, fill the outers with air, you might be able to remove some of the rear weights with the duals on. Which would help to keep from sinking in on soft ground.