Dirt Moving Case 310 Bulldozer

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #1  

melville6

Tractor
case 310
Hello, I am in the process of purchasing a dozer, I was looking for a little information for someone to help me make a decision between two different dozers. Dozer number 1 : This is a 1950 Case 310 with a gas engine and a 2 way blade. The owner recently restored it, including rebuilding the entire engine, new rad, front sprockets alternator, wiring, seat, hoses, and even paint. It looks great in the pictures and the owner is a retired farmer that sounds honest and sincere. His price is 5500.00 firm and it is a four hour drive away. Dozer number 2 : it is a 1969 Case 310 , diesel with a four way blade. This owner purchased it 2 years ago and has done a partial restoration on it, including: new hoses, new chains (tracks), new alternator, seat, wiring. The owner said the diesel runs strong and starts well, but in the cold weather sometimes requires a shot of ether to start, although it does have a heating block. The owner said it has a large winch on the
back but is not operating because of a bypass relief valve or something. This fellow said he loves the little dozer but the grousers are digging up his stone driveway too much and his wife made him buy a rubber tire farm tractor for snow plowing. This second tractor is priced at 5000 firm and is a 6 hour drive away. I have not seen a picture of this dozer, but his guy sounds very honest and sincere as well.
So my question is, which dozer sounds like the one to buy? My gut says the second one because it has the more powerful diesel and the 4 way blade and likely other features that give it advantages over the 1950 model. I should also mention that I own a parcel of land that has a 27 acre hardwood forest and 40 acres of fields that I rent to a farmer. The dozer will be used for clearing and spreading and leveling and landscaping around my home and out building.
Thank you so much for your knowledgeable thoughts ! melville6

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #2  
I'm no expert, but if it were me, I would get some pics of the diesel and if they look good, go for that one. Diesel and four way blade are a big plus.

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #3  
6 way blade without any doubt.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 2,227
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 3,889
   / Case 310 Bulldozer #4  
That's a sweet dozer Brian, I would love to have one.... don't need one, but sure would love to have one.

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #5  
Cheez and I thought Southern Cal was made up of dust...pixie dust at that. That is some good looking soil Brian. Everytime I see something like this it makes me want one as well and yes I don't need a dozer either. It must be chromosomal.

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #6  
It is fun to have and operate. Bought it for $3200. :cool: It was my first tractor, I believe that it was the first year that Case offer the diesel in the 310, 1962. I have spent a little under $6000 partially restoring it. Still runs like a top at over 10,000 hours on the meter.:thumbsup:

Don't really need it with the Mahindra 7520, but still use it when the right situation presents itself.;)

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #7  
Edited out my John Deere post.

Last edited:
   / Case 310 Bulldozer #8  
Around these parts the 450 JD will bring almost 10 K. If the winch is working add on another 2 grand.

The 450 will run circles around the 310, I've used both extensively and have a Case 310 gas built June 1958. It's a nice machine but wouldn't do half the work of the Deere in twice the time.

Spend the money on the Deere also more aftermarket parts available as it is a far more popular machine.

Good Luck, Fred

Fred, why did you bring this up? :confused: No where did the OP mention a JD. He has 2 different Case tractors that he is considering, no where was a JD ever mentioned. He has choice A & B. Not C,D or anything else. Your mention of a JD 450 being superior is not relative to his question. We are back to choice A or B, nothing else. :confused3:

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #9  
I'm sorry Brian somewhere my mind thought JD 450.

Burnt I guess, edited my post out. You have a really nice machine. I'd love to beat it bad like I do mine!

Fred, The winch alone should bring good money if it is working correctly.

Picture005_zps1aca792f.jpg

/ Case 310 Bulldozer #10  
I would vote the diesel with 4-way blade (that's the same one that I have). I picked mine up for about $5,000 or so several years ago and it's been worth every penny. The 6 way blade like what Brian has would be even better (and mine looks nothing like the units pictured in this thread - it's pretty rough and pretty apt to stay that way).

Whatever you choose, good luck and take care.