Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat

Default Re: This is how I fuel the tractor

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    There have been many threads on fueling the tractor, and I thought I would just show how a 59 year old office worker fuels his tractor 5 gallons at a time.

I have the older Blitz 5 gallon diesel fuel cans with the 2nd generation lever control valve. I did yank out the safety lock "guts" of the valve as that is just stupid to have to push a slide lever then the main lever to start the fuel flow, and if you let up on the main lever the safety lock must be actuated again. So a pair of needle nose pliers and one good yank is all it takes.

Here is what I do, I lay a soft towel on the hood after blowing away any loose dust. and remove the fuel cap. then lift the can to the Right front tire, then lift again to balance on the loader arm, and then lift over and tilt the can to lay on its face on the towel on the hood with the spout sticking right in the fuel filler neck. Then just hold the fuel can lever down with your thumb and watch it gurgle in. There is no holding of a heavy can, just lifting for a couple of seconds, and the final lift is slight downward, and using two hands on both the top and rear handle of the jug, so it is pretty easy to do.

As I pointed out I am not very strong, or at least no where near the strength I had 30 years ago when I did more physical work. So I would think most anyone could do this. I hope this helps someone

Attachment 384937Attachment 384938Attachment 384939Attachment 384940
    On the Bobcat my FEL upright is in a perfect position for me to rest the jug on it while I balance it and fill the tank, and actually that second gen cap actually works well for me
    Those 3rd generation really do suck tho

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7610HSD

This is what I use. Fuel transfer pump from Lowes ( $10.00) Always meant to buy large transfer tank, just never got around to it.
    -fuel-transfer-jpg

Tractor
    2014 Mahindra 3016HST

5 gal can and a funnel.
    This is the best funnel I've ever had.
    FloTool Super Quick Fill™ Funnel - Tractor Supply Co.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

Quote Originally Posted by NHbotanut View Post
    This is what I use. Fuel transfer pump from Lowes ( $10.00) Always meant to buy large transfer tank, just never got around to it.
    -fuel-transfer-jpg
    *looks jealous* haven't seen a C or D battery pump in ages.
    Ryan

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Boomer 50

I picked up a couple of Jegs "utility jugs" that are actually vented with a 1.5" OD nozzle. Takes <30 seconds to drop in 5 gallons of fuel.

Tractor
    Kubota M59

I went ahead and replaced the galvanized fittings on my transfer tank with black pipe to avoid the issue with diesel fuel contamination (thanks for the heads-up!).

The attached picture shows my setup. I keep this in the back of the truck and use it to fuel both truck and tractor. It is great to have in remote Colorado country where the nearest good truck stop may be 100 miles round trip away. The tank includes a 12v pump powered off the truck. I had to cut the top off my toolbox-tank combo (RDS) to get it to fit under the tonneau cover (Bak-Flip fold up). This setup works for towing with either a gooseneck or fifth-wheel hitch. The cover seals everything up nice and tidy when not towing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -truck-transfertank-jpg  
    Kubota M59 TLB w/thumb, Bradco forks, Befco 84" grading scraper, McMillen 3K2 hydraulic auger, CA 8' boom, hay forks
    CA 80" 4n1 bucket, Bison 84" Box blade w hyd scarifiers, Anbo Rancher grapple, Befco 6' brush hog
    Ram 5.9L, PJ 22' 14K trailer, PJ 16' 16K dump trailer, Hobart 250amp MIG welder

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2150HST w/ LA350 loader, Kubota GF1800 HST, Kioti NX4510HST w/cab and KL6010 loader

Quote Originally Posted by oldpilgrim View Post
    5 gal can and a funnel.
    This is the best funnel I've ever had.
    FloTool Super Quick Fill Funnel - Tractor Supply Co.
    TSC also has a larger size from the same maker that I prefer for quick fills. FloTool Giant Funnel - Tractor Supply Co. The larger one has a fine screen that stops debris without cutting the fill time much. I suspect the smaller size does as well, but haven't checked. Surprising what can end up in the bottom of the 5 and 6 gal. cans after awhile, and the screens in the can spouts seem to have a way of tearing or disappearing.

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST Cab, Kubota BX23TLB

Quote Originally Posted by TBarD View Post
    I went ahead and replaced the galvanized fittings on my transfer tank with black pipe to avoid the issue with diesel fuel contamination (thanks for the heads-up!).

The attached picture shows my setup. I keep this in the back of the truck and use it to fuel both truck and tractor. It is great to have in remote Colorado country where the nearest good truck stop may be 100 miles round trip away. The tank includes a 12v pump powered off the truck. I had to cut the top off my toolbox-tank combo (RDS) to get it to fit under the tonneau cover (Bak-Flip fold up). This setup works for towing with either a gooseneck or fifth-wheel hitch. The cover seals everything up nice and tidy when not towing.
    I'm gonna replace my galvanized pipe with black pipe too. I need to replace my kinked up hose at the same time. I've already bought a new one.

We do indeed seem to have the exact same diesel tank / toolbox.

Pappy

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    None yet

If the CARB approved spouts are driving you nuts, just replace them with this "water can" spout and vent kit.

HOME « EZ-POUR

With the vent open, I can empty 5 gallons in under a minute. On my new holland boomer 30, the 5 gal can rests nicely on the back of the seat and the spout bends into the tank, so I don't have to hold the can the entire time.

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

I just installed a sheet metal screw in the back side of the fuel can and popped the spring loaded insert out from the spout.

The gummit comes up with some lain-brained ideas.
    A couple Kubota's and some payment books.....
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast