This is how I fuel the tractor

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
There have been many threads on fueling the tractor, and I thought I would just show how a 59 year old office worker fuels his tractor 5 gallons at a time.

I have the older Blitz 5 gallon diesel fuel cans with the 2nd generation lever control valve. I did yank out the safety lock "guts" of the valve as that is just stupid to have to push a slide lever then the main lever to start the fuel flow, and if you let up on the main lever the safety lock must be actuated again. So a pair of needle nose pliers and one good yank is all it takes.

Here is what I do, I lay a soft towel on the hood after blowing away any loose dust. and remove the fuel cap. then lift the can to the Right front tire, then lift again to balance on the loader arm, and then lift over and tilt the can to lay on its face on the towel on the hood with the spout sticking right in the fuel filler neck. Then just hold the fuel can lever down with your thumb and watch it gurgle in. There is no holding of a heavy can, just lifting for a couple of seconds, and the final lift is slight downward, and using two hands on both the top and rear handle of the jug, so it is pretty easy to do.

As I pointed out I am not very strong, or at least no where near the strength I had 30 years ago when I did more physical work. So I would think most anyone could do this. I hope this helps someone

IMG_20140802_113911_610.jpgIMG_20140802_113916_111.jpgIMG_20140802_113938_378.jpgIMG_20140802_114028_205.jpg

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #2  
There have been many threads on fueling the tractor, and I thought I would just show how a 59 year old office worker fuels his tractor 5 gallons at a time.

I have the older Blitz 5 gallon diesel fuel cans with the 2nd generation lever control valve. I did yank out the safety lock "guts" of the valve as that is just stupid to have to push a slide lever then the main lever to start the fuel flow, and if you let up on the main lever the safety lock must be actuated again. So a pair of needle nose pliers and one good yank is all it takes.

Here is what I do, I lay a soft towel on the hood after blowing away any loose dust. and remove the fuel cap. then lift the can to the Right front tire, then lift again to balance on the loader arm, and then lift over and tilt the can to lay on its face on the towel on the hood with the spout sticking right in the fuel filler neck. Then just hold the fuel can lever down with your thumb and watch it gurgle in. There is no holding of a heavy can, just lifting for a couple of seconds, and the final lift is slight downward, and using two hands on both the top and rear handle of the jug, so it is pretty easy to do.

As I pointed out I am not very strong, or at least no where near the strength I had 30 years ago when I did more physical work. So I would think most anyone could do this. I hope this helps someone

View attachment 384937View attachment 384938View attachment 384939View attachment 384940

I do essentially the same (especially the towel part!!)

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #3  
I generally just put the 5 gallon jug on the hood and then use a clear plastic tube about 6' long to siphon it in.

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #4  
It didn't take me long to find out that lifting a 5 gallon can overhead to set on the hood was a bit of a strain. Setting it on the wheel then meant I had to stand on the foot board with one foot and the other on part of the FEL or stretch out and put the other foot on the front tire which could be slick from mud or wet which was prone to slipping.
I found a 100 gallon tank with 12Volt 15 GPM pump with 20 foot of hose for $300 and it has worked for me for 5 years now. I used a little jumper battery for a while till it went bad then just put a small car battery with a battery maintainer to keep it charged. It works for me and not lifting or hauling of 5 gallon cans of fuel.

I wish gasoline would remain fresh long enough to justify home bulk storage but even 10-12 gallons is starting to get stale (by this I mean changing from clear to amber color) by the time I use it up.

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #5  
That is pretty close to my method. :thumbsup: I put the towel or place a board across the FEL arms and set the 6 gallon plastic antique Chilton fuel can on that. Then I have a plastic siphon and when that stops I just have about 1/2 gallon of fuel left which is easy to pour into another tractor with a funnel. :)
K0ua I have tried pumps and of course the hold and balance the fuel can method. But with our method I have not spilled any fuel. :cool: So it is cost effective for sure. I have wasted fuel with the new spill proof government regulated gas cans. :confused2: Of course that is probably my fault for being raised with common sense instead of common core. :2cents:

/ This is how I fuel the tractor
The overhead tank would be ideal, but my method does not cost much. Of course the size of the tractor would factor in to whether my method would work for you or not. I am standing on the ground at all times during this, so there is no danger. A taller tractor could be a different story. I don't have any trouble at all with the lifting, as I don't have to "hold" any weight. But if I get to the point I cannot lift the can to the hood any longer, I guess I could either give it up or buy the bulk storage tank.:)

/ This is how I fuel the tractor
That is pretty close to my method. :thumbsup: I put the towel or place a board across the FEL arms and set the 6 gallon plastic antique Chilton fuel can on that. Then I have a plastic siphon and when that stops I just have about 1/2 gallon of fuel left which is easy to pour into another tractor with a funnel. :)
K0ua I have tried pumps and of course the hold and balance the fuel can method. But with our method I have not spilled any fuel. :cool: So it is cost effective for sure. I have wasted fuel with the new spill proof government regulated gas cans. :confused2: Of course that is probably my fault for being raised with common sense instead of common core. :2cents:

Yes, I have never spilled any fuel either, or had any trouble with this method. Some of the new spouts do not look very appetizing from what I have seen, so I am not sure what I am going to do when these two wear out.

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #8  
It didn't take me long to find out that lifting a 5 gallon can overhead to set on the hood was a bit of a strain. Setting it on the wheel then meant I had to stand on the foot board with one foot and the other on part of the FEL or stretch out and put the other foot on the front tire which could be slick from mud or wet which was prone to slipping.
I found a 100 gallon tank with 12Volt 15 GPM pump with 20 foot of hose for $300 and it has worked for me for 5 years now. I used a little jumper battery for a while till it went bad then just put a small car battery with a battery maintainer to keep it charged. It works for me and not lifting or hauling of 5 gallon cans of fuel.

I wish gasoline would remain fresh long enough to justify home bulk storage but even 10-12 gallons is starting to get stale (by this I mean changing from clear to amber color) by the time I use it up.

I use a similar tank and pump system, Gary, but with a booster pack similar to this:

Motomaster Eliminator 800A Powerbox | Canadian Tire

The booster pack is handy for trips to the back country and for lighting and small appliances during power outages.

I think my tank is 70 imperial gallons(318 liters):

20130531_TidyTank_1.JPG

I fill it two or three times per year. It is easy to transport in the truck.

Attachments

• 20130531_TidyTank_2.JPG
    20130531_TidyTank_2.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
   / This is how I fuel the tractor #9  
I use the No-Spill can. I lift it up on the loader arm. Then I stand on top of the front tire. I let the base of the No-Spill rest on the loader arm, and lay the No-Spill down and push the button. Pretty simple stuff and the No-Spill doesn't leak a drop.

I've got this 50 gallon diesel tank with a toolbox on top mounted in my utility trailer. But I usually don't have the trailer with me at the property, so I just use the No-Spill can these days.

CA_08021413554416-XL.jpg

CA_08021413551158-XL.jpg

/ This is how I fuel the tractor #10  
Next to my shed, I have a 5 foot stand (in the shade of cedar trees) that I lift the 5 gallon jugs on to. Then I throw a siphon hose over a branch and take a break on the tractor seat while it fills. Works for me as a poor boy way of doing things. Using some junk lumber and eight feet of 5/8 inch tubing, it didn't cost much. You gotta have some good lungs to get it going .:laughing: Yet those full jugs are a little heavy for me to get up to 5 feet.......as I'm only 5'3'' myself....guess I've got more brawn than brains.:eek: