Mowing First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #1  

dirtyheysoos

Tractor
allis chalmers wd 4d
I recently bought an Allis Chalmers WD 45. I also bought a john deere MX 7 to mow with. Not the best combo, and I had to get category 1 pins to connect it but finally did. Everything was hooked up. I turned the PTO on and it cut for about 5' then quit. Since then when I turn the PTO on with it connected it won't turn. If I disconnect the PTO shaft it will turn again. Something I did wrong? Something in the mower shaft locked up? I'm not really sure what to do

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #2  
Can you turn the mower shaft by hand when it is unhooked? Might be that the PTO clutch has malfunctioned or was worn out to begin with. If the PTO is in gear and you release the clutch and it doesn't spin or stall the engine, there is a disconnect somewhere. It could just be the linkage. Some of the old PTO would spin slowly with the pto disengaged due to some clutch drag. I hate to say it but you could be looking at a PTO clutch replacement or it could be a broken PTO shaft.

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #3  
Good info above. So when you disconnect the mower and engage the PTO it will turn??? With the mower disconnected and the tractor OFF can you turn the PTO stub by hand when it is engaged. If so there is an issue.

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn
I'm wondering if there is a safety feature locking the mower up? It started so easily yesterday and instantly was done. Wondering if there was something that stopped it from turning and won't allow it to start back up?
I can turn the shaft on the mower by hand with it disconnected. Just a second ago I turned it on and turned the PTO on and you can see and if you just brush a finger can feel that it is vibrating like it is trying to turn. I will go try to turn the PTO stub with the mower off and PTO engaged now

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #5  
BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!! If something "pops" back and that thing starts spinning you could be in for a world of hurt,

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #6  
Usually no safety stuff on that vintage. I think it is a live PTO with a 2 stage clutch per tractor data. My guess is as above bad clutch , but it could be something as simple as a linkage issue

I feel like such a moron, but I guess there is a first for everyone. It was a shear pin on the PTO. Which gives me another question. The pins I had been using are 1/4" and the hole is at least 3/8". Should I put a larger pin in tomorrow when I get to the farm store? They could be falling out for all I know, I don't think they are the right pins. I did get a few paths mowed in my yard and am really happy about that. Did well again until I scalped the yard. Still have a lot of learning to do with this type of mowing

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #8  
If the hole is 3/8" use a 3/8" shear bolt. Usually a grade 2 bolt and nut. Buy several because you will break more until you get used to using the mower. When engaging the PTO let the clutch out slowly to get the mower spinning. Letting it out fast can immediately break a new shear bolt.

From a glace it looked liked a 3/8" I'm going to measure it later on to be sure and I will definitely buy a few extra. Thanks for the help, still feel like an idiot though.

/ First time mowing with tractor and PTO won't turn #10  
Dude that was running through my head, but I did not mention it. Nothing better than a fix for under a buck. I just use a grade two bolt also.