Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ???

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #1  
Tractor
Yanmar
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a YM2210 , it was not running when I bought it. I now have it starting but it is missing and blowing a white puff of smoke when it misses seems to be ever other time it fires. I'm thinking a blown head gasket and have talked to Steve "Spalding Tractors" he has advised me to post and see what other input I can get from the users in the Forum.

Here is a video of the tractor on start and while it is missing and blowing smoke. it takes a a few minutes to see anything I was hooking up jumper cables so it only shows the tractor there for a minutes which makes it look like the video isn't working but it is if you wait till I get around to starting it. https://plus.google.com/+Christophe...6043790075094959234&oid=111135562855269414034

Please let me know your ideals to resolve this problem.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
   / Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #2  
Welcome from Wisconsin

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #4  
Welcome to TBN

I always thought white smoke was from unburned fuel - a bad injector or injection pump ??
What is happening in the radiator ? Bubbles or losing water ??

Post this in the repair section. Thereare plenty of knowledgable mechanics around. BTW good video

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #5  
I always thought white smoke was from unburned fuel - a bad injector or injection pump ??
Generally, over-fueling a diesel (incomplete combustion) results in black smoke.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #7  
Possibly a burned valve or broken valve spring. Hard to tell from the video. Do a compression test(not easy on diesel) or just pull the head and do a visual inspection.
Dave

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #8  
That is not a blown head gasket.

It looks more like a sticking exhaust valve or, possibly some water in the fuel system.

Has it been sitting for a long time and maybe has a rusty valve seat or rust and dirt in one cylinder that it is coughing out and occasionally holding the valve off it's seat? I think I'd run it for a while under moderate load and see if it clears up. Be sure it has clean oil. A light viscosity would be good for freeing a stuck valve, if that is what it is. And make sure the fuel system has no water or air in it.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #9  
Generally, over-fueling a diesel (incomplete combustion) results in black smoke.

Hmmm........... ????

Cost Effective Maintenance - Diesel Smoke tells YOU a Story...

White smoke occurs when raw diesel comes through the exhaust completely intact and unburned. Some causes of this include

•<!--[endif]-->Faulty or damaged injectors
•<!--[endif]-->Incorrect injection timing (could be a worn timing gear or damaged crankshaft keyway).•<!--[endif]-->Low cylinder compression (eg caused by leaking or broken valves, piston ring sticking, cylinder and/or ring wear, or cylinder glaze)
When white smoke occurs at cold start, and then disappears as the engine warms up, the most common causes are fouling deposits around piston rings and/or cylinder glazing. Use of our Flushing Oil Concentrate and FTC Decarbonizer address these respective problems.

Water entering combustion spaces will also create white smoke. Faulty head gaskets and cracked cylinder heads or blocks are a common cause of water entry, and are often to blame. Unfortunately, expensive mechanical repair is the only proper solution here.

/ Help, I'm thinking Blown head gasket - what are your thoughts ??? #10  
If it were a blown head gasket ( and the rad is FULL) there would be a constant white smoke coming out.
There are test kits sold at Napa for blown head gaskets, cracked blocks etc,
allot cheaper than pulling the head.
It does seem to me that it's getting spurts of unburned fuel also, something sticking and then letting go.
Throw some good fuel and conditioner and whatever additive that will help clean the insides,
Thats the route I'd go for, first.