Loader Massey 235 Tractor

/ Massey 235 Tractor #1  

melville6

Tractor
case 310
I have a great little Massey F. , 3 cylinder Diesel that is model 235, and built in 1976 ! This tractor is very reliable and I use daily ! The only problem is.... I do not have a loader bucket for it ! Does anyone have a loader bucket, complete that will fit my tractor, and they want to sell ? I made some inquiries a couple of years back about purchasing new...it was way too expensive ! I live in a small town called Fort Erie ( Canada ) across the river from Buffalo NY.....I do have a shipping address in Niagara Falls NY 14303. Please respond if you can help me in my search ! Thank you very much, I do appreciate it ! Melville6

/ Massey 235 Tractor #2  
Can't help with the FEL, but I think this belongs in the classifieds section.

Also, realize that the front end of the 235 is pretty lightly built for true loader work...lots of problems have been noted over the years. The normal loader model is the 232, but there are aftermarket options available as well.

/ Massey 235 Tractor #3  
Do you have power steering on your 235? If you do, you do not want a front end loader on it. Yes, you read that right, you do not want a loader on a 235 with power steering. If you have manual steering would actually be better for a loader on a 235. No, I'm not losing my marbles. It would be harder to turn with manual steering but it would at least be reliable. 235's have a great powertrain but were only made for 2 years because of notorious problems with the power steering. 245's replaced them and have much better hydrostatic power steering.

/ Massey 235 Tractor #4  
Look for a compatible loader on tractorhouse.com. However, as stated above, the front ends of thoes models were just not built heavy enough to handle the weight of the loader and any load you might have. The 232 loader is a beast, heavily built and more at home on a MF150-up... dad has one for his MF135, and it broke the axle and/or pivot casting. He had it repaired, but the loader is just so bulky it never gets used, probly been close to 10 years since its been on the tractor. I dont recall the details, the breakage was 30+ years ago and I was still in diapers.

I would reconsider putting a loader on your 235.

/ Massey 235 Tractor
yes it has power steering....and yes the steering requires maintenance to keep it working properly Thanks for your reply !

/ Massey 235 Tractor #6  
I didn't want to disappoint you but thought it's best to give you a warning. It's not so much the front axle is light as it is the steering problems. I had a former neighbor who bought a new 235 (that was left over) and I modified his bale fork to fit on the loader. I think he only had the tractor for about 8 month's before he traded it back for a 255 because of steering issues.

/ Massey 235 Tractor
Yes...I agree that the steering can be an issue ! It does not always work adding a loader bucket on the front of a tractor . I have a Ford 600 with manual steering that the previous owner added a small loader bucket to it. The problem is even though it is a small bucket, the weight is a problem. It is very difficult to steer when u have any weight in the bucket....... it has extremely poor rear traction, even though I have added weight to the back and have the rear tires loaded. I was trying to pull a half ton truck with four flats off the back field one day....so I hooked on to it with the 600.......it would not move the pickup even leaving three feet of slack in the chain. the tires would just spin and dug holes in the field. I had a Chev Tracker, 4 cylinder 4 by 4 that I used for light off roading. I went and hooked on to the same half ton ......well......the little Tracker pulled the truck out no problem .....I could not believe it.....this Tracker had stock tire and wheels on it and it pulled way better then my 600. I know the 600 is only 2 wheel drive, but I think the bucket on the front has screwed up its centre of gravity and it has lost all its traction. One more short story....I was trying to drag a 35 foot steel trailer across the back field and I got the 600 stuck really good........I hooked on to the front of the 600 with the Massey 235 Diesel, then I shut off the 600 and put it in neutral........the 235 pulled the 600 and the big trailer still attached without even spinning a tire. So the bottom line hear is....my 600 is useless for pulling or dragging stuff and the bucket won't pick up much and it is extremely hard to steer it with anything in the bucket.......that's the reason I want to add a loader bucket to the 235, and then sell the 600. My advice so far is to not add a bucket to the 235 because of the steering issues, and I believe it is good advice. I do have one more option though.....I bought a Neufield , 10/60 last year that has a strong heavy duty bucket with power down pressure also........after using it for 3 hours the clutch stuck in and would not release.....I tried removing the side cover plate and attempted to pry it loose, trying to release it....I had no luck I sprayed liquid wrench and WD40 and then let it sit for a few days but could still no break it free ! An old |Farmer told me to start it up and place it against a huge tree and let it run until the clutch releases....I have not tried this and am not too keen on this idea. I priced the clutch new and it was around 800.00 plus shipping. I called a repair shop and they want between 1000 and 1500 for labour to do the job. I certainly cannot afford that kind of cash for the labour and would hope to find a clutch for half that price. Do you or anyone else have any ideas for my Neufield 10/60 Diesel. Thanks for reading my very long winded story lol Melville6