Need advise on a new tractor purchase

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #11  
If you are running the engine at pto speeds the shuttle is going to be very abrupt and really rough without the clutch, the engine needs to be running pretty slow to smoothly change direction. The HST pedal on the 60 series is light and easy to work i am sure it could run it with a stick if need be. Unless i am completely reading the parts diagram wrong it looks like the hst pedal just uses a electronic sensor so you may be able to relocate it anywhere you want in the cab as long as you can run wires. There is a plunger the goes through the floor but seems to only connect to the auto throttle advance cam, maybe it would work without this? hst pedal.jpg. I am only guessing though from quickly looking at the parts, worth taking a look at.

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #12  
If you are running the engine at pto speeds the shuttle is going to be very abrupt and really rough without the clutch, the engine needs to be running pretty slow to smoothly change direction. The HST pedal on the 60 series is light and easy to work i am sure it could run it with a stick if need be. Unless i am completely reading the parts diagram wrong it looks like the hst pedal just uses a electronic sensor so you may be able to relocate it anywhere you want in the cab as long as you can run wires. There is a plunger the goes through the floor but seems to only connect to the auto throttle advance cam, maybe it would work without this? View attachment 385691. I am only guessing though from quickly looking at the parts, worth taking a look at.

That looks like the Kubota L6060 uses a rotary potentiometer to tell the HST controller user movement request and that would be reasonably easy to relocate.

bmhibinger should share how he would like to work the controls as there are aftermarket joystick handles that can use a variable potentiometer that could control HST movement straight from the joystick lever leaving the lefthand free to steer.

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #13  
Egress will likely be more of an issue than retrofitting the controls. I helped a buddy of mine install hand controls and a small winch/lift with sling to get him into his lifted chevy 2500 a few years ago. He is also paraplegic, as well as leg-less from just below the hips. Getting from the wheel chair to the operator's seat thru the narrow passage common with tractors both cab and open station will be a challenge.

OP, I wish you well... please post your results as they come about. Id like to see the solutions you come up with. Good luck!

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #14  
A big limiting factor with an HST transmission is that they aren't made in larger hp. If he needs/wants a larger tractor he HAS to make a different choice. Power shuttle or a CVT transmission are pretty much his options.

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #16  
I looked through the HST control system of the Kioti NX series and it literally is as easy as moving an electric sensor up so the hand can control it. In fact, the very same sensor that sets the throttle speed is used to determine HST pedal position.

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #17  
Here is a somewhat relevant thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/278845-finished-hand-controls-paraplegic.html

You have gotten some excellent advice and I really can only add an opinion; may help, may not.

I have limited use of my left leg and my primary tractors are a Kubota L5740HSTC and M8540HDC. Hand controls would be relatively easy to set up for either, I never use the foot clutch on my 8540, I change gears, ranges and direction by hand, works the same on other brands so equipped.

I have an air ride seat on my L5740, but the larger tractor rides much smoother and since you are going to need a platform or lift for ingress and egress, I would go with the larger tractor for comfort and room.

I really like my Kubotas, but the cabs are less roomy than other brands, so would look for the most room and best layout as mentioned by EricTheOracle, all make really good tractors.

You might want to look at some of the modification threads here and on You Tube by Waxman and 4shorts, they have backup cameras and lots of other stuff you might find helpful and you might want to PM them, both hav been very helpful to me and many other members.

Keep us informed on your progress.

/ Need advise on a new tractor purchase #18  
Hello all,
I have been tractor shopping lately and could use some input on what tractor may fit me best. I am a 34 year old who is paralyzed from the waist down, so I need to find what could work best for me with the least amount of modification. I understand some modifications will be needed (some sort of lift to get into the tractor, hand controls, etc.) but would like to hear some suggestions on what might work best. We have a 120 acre beef cattle farm in SE Ohio, so most of the tractor use will be making and feeding hay and brush hogging pastures. Occasional loader work here and there.
The tractors I am looking most closely at right now are a Case I-H Farmall 75C with power shuttle, a New Holland T4.75 with power shuttle and a Kubota L6060 with Hydrostatic Trans. I was told the 75C was "clutchless"...which led me to believe you didn't need to work the clutch (other than start-up). But looking through the literature, I only see anything about forward to reverse. Anything with a power shuttle can do that. Does anyone know if gears, ranges, etc. can be shifted on these without the clutch? The Hydrostatic Kubota is still in the hunt, but just thought a clutchless (or at least limited clutching) tractor would work best for me.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
B

Ohio AgrAbility Home | Ohio AgrAbility is a non-profit that can help farmers with disabilities adapt their equipment and farms to keep doing their work. disabilityworktools.com also has alot of ideas for farming with a disability, especially getting on/off equipment and hitching.