HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it-

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #1  

ipanemaguy

I got a great deal on a Kubota M4050DT, extremely low mileage, barn kept. Never asked the widow how to start it figuring it would be as plain as my B Series.
Guess what? I don't know how to start it, and can't figure it out. Can someone please give me the proceedure?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

PTO is disengaged (lever up)
Brake is all the way in
Preheat 10 sec
turn the key and nothing!!

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #3  
Um, clutch in? Shifter in neutral? Are you sitting in the seat?

I assume it ran when you bought it. Was it running when you got there, or how did you get this far without starting it?

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #4  
As your first symptom is NOTHING, battery would be a good place to start.

Batteries maintain best with regular use of a tractor = regular partial discharge and recharge.

If tractor was used irregularly and has been sitting awhile you may need a new battery or the battery posts and cable connections may need a good scrubbing with a WIRE brush to remove accumulated oxidation.

Turn on the lights and see if they are BRIGHT.

-----------------------------------------------------

WHY NOT FILL IN YOUR T-B-N PROFILE?

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #5  
Sounds like 'the widow' got the best deal!:laughing:

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #6  
Clutch fully depressed, transmission in Neutral, PTO off, operator sitting in seat are all the things I can think off. If it is HST, make sure the forward/reverse pedal is neutral and everything else is in neutral. You may want to turn the key to start and then rock the HST pedal back and forth slowly to see if the starter engages.
If battery is fully charged, then I would start looking at loose connections on battery cables, ground at the tractor frame and if all were good, start looking at the safety switches. Each of the items listed will have a safety switch what will have to be in the right position for the engine to start. Some may be normally open while some may need to be normally closed. You may need a schematic to see or just unplug try it, if no start, then jumper the plug and try again.

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #7  
M4050 is a big boy's toy; don't think it would have a seat safety

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #8  
What does "nothing" mean?... please be descriptive. Do the dash light come on?, Did the glow plug indicator come on? You turn the key to the start position, does the engine crank?. And by crank I mean that the engine crankshaft rotates, but the engine does not start and run by itself.? "nothing" tells us nothing, we are not there and cannot see what you can see and hear. Be precise please, and we will help you.

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #9  
My dealer disables tractors on his lot by engaging the PTO and taking out the big fuse (usually by the starter). I'd start with those.

/ HELP ------- OK, idiot buys a Kubota M4050DT, can't start it- #10  
My dealer disables tractors on his lot by engaging the PTO and taking out the big fuse (usually by the starter). I'd start with those.
I pull my 40 amp fuse so nothing happens... Just a thought.