Cold starts ?

/ Cold starts ? #1  

GrayBeard

Gold Member
Related to block heaters and lite bulbs...
A man I know who has some/alot of diesel engine "savy" told me to ease cold starts you should cycle the glow plug 3 or 4 times before cranking over.
He said all the newer equipment glow plugs "time" out to soon.
Is this for real , anyone heard of this ?
I must admit I did try it and weather imagined or not, I think it did start quicker.
GrayBeard

/ Cold starts ? #2  
In cold weather turn on the lights for 2-3 minutes before cranking the engine. The current drawn by the lights will warm the battery and improve the battery efficiency

/ Cold starts ? #3  
Best thing you can do is to open the throttle about 1/3 way while it's glowing. The throttle on a diesel gives it more fuel. That helps.

On my newer (1983) Benz, I often forget to push down on the pedal and turn that fast idle knob. It'll sometimes start okay but will run rocky for a few seconds. It'll start right up with the throttle opened a little bit.

Ralph

/ Cold starts ? #4  
This is true with the new automatic glow plugs. They work great down to about 20 or so, then runnung a couple cycles sure helps out. Another trick that you can do with most of the new ingnitions that are NOT automatic is to return them to the glow position and hold them there AFTER starting the tractor. Will aleviate the choking, coughing, and sputtering. (kinda like Nyquil /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)