Diesel question

/ Diesel question #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I find that for my needs (so far), I don't need the power or speed of my tractor running at 2k+ rpms. Max hp is at 2400 rpms.

Today I was out back cleaning up my woods and I had it going at 12-1500 rpms and it was providing as much hp and speed as I needed. I ran it about 3 hours that way, when my brother stopped by and told me I should run it faster as it might hurt the engine by running it so slowly. I can see running it faster if I'm digging/moving sand rocks etc, where it's needed.

Is there any truth to that? Do I need to run it faster, waste fuel, and damage my ears when I don't actually need more speed/HP?

/ Diesel question #2  
I find that for my needs (so far), I don't need the power or speed of my tractor running at 2k+ rpms. Max hp is at 2400 rpms.

Today I was out back cleaning up my woods and I had it going at 12-1500 rpms and it was providing as much hp and speed as I needed. I ran it about 3 hours that way, when my brother stopped by and told me I should run it faster as it might hurt the engine by running it so slowly. I can see running it faster if I'm digging/moving sand rocks etc, where it's needed.

Is there any truth to that? Do I need to run it faster, waste fuel, and damage my ears when I don't actually need more speed/HP?

I don't run lower than 1800 when doing work if for anything to keep the oil pressure up.

/ Diesel question #3  
There had been a lot of discussion on this on the TDI forum. For the newer "small" diesel engines they ended up recommending occasional "drive it like you stole it" to seat the rings for the first 10,000 miles at least.

I would think you should at least get it up to 2,000 rpms for a few minutes an hour.

/ Diesel question #4  
I bought a new tractor several years ago and it kept burning a little oil . I was doing the same thing you are doing and the rings never got seated in . I took it and worked it hard at higher rpms and the rings seated and no more burning oil . These newer engines may be much different but I would work it once in awhile just to make sure. My dealer said to run it like you stole it but the manual says not too with the new B2650 , so who are you to believe . I am doing both so hopefully things will work out okay. My book states do not operate tractor at full speed for the first 50 hrs.

/ Diesel question #5  
I don't see any need to run it at full RPM all the time. That is ridiculous. Just don't lug it excessively.

Just like your truck. Do you run that at full RPM all the time? Of course not. if anything, tractor engines are made to work harder than automotive engines and can take being run at a leisurely pace with moderate loads. If you see it smoking, drop a gear and run the engine faster.

I don't run the backhoe at full RPM unless I want faster bucket movements, I don't scrape the road at full throttle either. No need to and it sounds much better at a slower pace. But if I'm pulling a very heavy load I'll ask it for all it's got and rev it to red line. That won't hurt it a bit either.

My New Holland, with over 1000 hours on it, runs like new.

It's really irritating when someone recommends that I "run it like I stole it". That is a really thoughtless term that says more about who said it than how to use equipment. Running at full RPM is fine and it's not running it like you stole it. I like my tractor, I paid for it and I'm responsible for it.

/ Diesel question #7  
I worked my tractor as hard as I could varying the RPM from idle to 2200 rpm (2500 is max rpm) as per the OEM break in procedure. It didn't use a drop of oil to the first 50 hour change and doesn't use any now either. After the break-in period I use the RPM I need to do the job but rarely do I need more than 1500 to pull anything I need. It will spin all 4 tires in M 3 at 1200 RPM and not lug the engine so why would I rev it to 2500. I mostly mow with it in 750 RPM speed (it has a 3 speed gear box) and engine at 1500-1550 so it turns the PTO at approximately 540. If I need more power, I drop it back to 540 speed and run it at or near 2150 which is the PTO speed but never faster.
As long as you aren't lugging the engine, running slower RPM will not hurt it to run for hours at anything above about 1200 RPM, if the engine is slightly loaded but not lugging, so much the better.

If you have to run at 1800 RPM to keep up the oil pressure, you better look at replacing your oil pump. It should produce nearly full oil pressure at idle.

/ Diesel question #8  
I worked my tractor as hard as I could varying the RPM from idle to 2200 rpm (2500 is max rpm) as per the OEM break in procedure. <snip>

Which OEM and what year? 2009 Kubota? 2010 LS?

/edit - my 98 M4700 says do not operate at full speed for the first 50 hours.
On my TDI I did about what you did, occasional full speed to set the rings.

/ Diesel question #9  
My Kubota 7040 manual says to not operate at full RPM for first 50 hours. It uses about a half a quart of oil per 10 hours even up until now at 86 hours. I've gradually been working it harder and harder trying to seat the rings. I'm going to work the snot out of it for about 12 hours straight this weekend with an 8ft bushhog and see if oil consumption improves.

/ Diesel question #10  
My Kubota 7040 manual says to not operate at full RPM for first 50 hours. It uses about a half a quart of oil per 10 hours even up until now at 86 hours. I've gradually been working it harder and harder trying to seat the rings. I'm going to work the snot out of it for about 12 hours straight this weekend with an 8ft bushhog and see if oil consumption improves.
Ill be interested in the result. You are still using dino oil right?