Mowing Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #1  

Overmyhead1

Tractor
Mansfield property master brush mower
I bought mansfield property master with mower attachment. In part, the price was right.

I am not experienced and read many posts about the workout I'm in for. Good news is I am in shape and willing to sweat and I did just that today!

So here's my question: the blade seems to get stuck up in heavy vegetation. It works a little better if I push down on the handles and ride the mower up like an open mouth. Is this normal?

If there is something wrong with the unit, I want to tweak it. If this is just the nature of the beast, I can accept that.

If I move slowly and hold it up, it can do it. It just seems like the motor should power through it.

Mower attachment arrived in the lowest setting. I have contemplated raising to a higher setting but thought I would seek advice on here.

Thanks in advance for sharing your guidance!

5 acres buckthorn and weeds, up to 1/2 inch or /4 inch, 3 feet tall

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #2  
Well I googled the equipment you mentioned and wound up on the DR site. Somewhat limited information there but I assume this is the pull behind an ATV or lawn tractor self contained mower. That said, my first knee jerk reaction is that you are overloading the engine with what you are mowing. First thought is to go slower and only take a partial bite, like half the width of the deck, or for the first time around 1/4 the width. Once you get the field in reasonable shape and the clippings have fallen sufficiently to be out of the way for the next cutting, it surely will go faster if continued in a timely manner.

First of all I have about $8500 worth of DR mowing equipment so this is not a bash.

Second, I pulled up these mowers and they range from 10.5 to 20 hp for the same 44" cut. If you have the 10.5 hp you can obviously expect something less than stellar performance that you might get with the 20v twin.
Looking at the pictures on their www it appears that although the front is wide mouthed, the exit is funneled into a windrow thus limiting what goes out as compared to what goes in. The numbers they post for 2" saplings and 2 acres per hour surely aren't simultaneous numbers. You aren't going to to that kind of work with a 50 hp tractor and rotary mower.

HTH,
Mark

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #3  
2 acres per hour is pushing it with a 44" mower even in optimal conditions:confused2: That would require 100% efficiency at 4.5MPH. Aint gonna happen.

But that said, It does sound like you are just trying to over-work it. Texasmark gave some good advice about slowing down or taking smaller bites.

But my suggestion would be to hire someone with a tractor to come in there and mow it for you this first time around. 5 acres with sapplings only up to 1/2" diameter.....That would be done in my area for ~$200.

Not worth spending a day (or more) fighting it with a walk behind IMO

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #4  
Welcome to the forum,
I would expect it will take a while to beat this back with a small brush mower. Both of the above posters have given good advice imo.

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #5  
So here's my question: the blade seems to get stuck up in heavy vegetation. It works a little better if I push down on the handles and ride the mower up like an open mouth. Is this normal?
By blade getting stuck, do you mean that it quits turning but motor doesn't stall? Is it belt drive? If so you may need to tension the belt drive more. It should stall the motor down rather than slip the blade if you overload it.
If it stalls the motor to the point of dying, then you just need to take a smaller bite, as small as you need to get a good cut. Make sure your discharge is going to the already cut side also.

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #6  
2 acres per hour is pushing it with a 44" mower even in optimal conditions:confused2: That would require 100% efficiency at 4.5MPH. Aint gonna happen.

But that said, It does sound like you are just trying to over-work it. Texasmark gave some good advice about slowing down or taking smaller bites.

But my suggestion would be to hire someone with a tractor to come in there and mow it for you this first time around. 5 acres with sapplings only up to 1/2" diameter.....That would be done in my area for ~$200.

Not worth spending a day (or more) fighting it with a walk behind IMO

I was going to suggest that but didn't. Figured the guy couldn't afford such "beins" he was running what he was running. But I totally agree with you.

Mark

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #7  
. . . So here's my question: the blade seems to get stuck up in heavy vegetation. It works a little better if I push down on the handles and ride the mower up like an open mouth. Is this normal?

. . . .

Mower attachment arrived in the lowest setting. I have contemplated raising to a higher setting but thought I would seek advice on here.

. . . .

5 acres buckthorn and weeds, up to 1/2 inch or /4 inch, 3 feet tall

Since you talk about pushing down on the handles, I assume you have the walk-behind type. I think you're gonna have to raise the mower to the highest setting and take it very slowly. When you push down on the handles, you are raising the front of the mower, so why not just raise the setting as much as possible?

5 acres is going to take a while and will give you a serious workout. If you've got the patience and persistence to do the whole thing, you are a better man than me.

/ Brush mower seems to stall out in heavy vegetation #8  
I also would say to definitely raise the deck...that's all you're doing by pushing on the handles anyways.

Then also go slower, and cut 1/2 the width. See how that goes. Get it knocked out, and wait a day or two, then mow it again the same way and see if your speed can increase some. The third time you cut it, if done quickly after the other two, can probably be done at full or mostly full width. Then it's a matter of doing it regularly so it doesn't overwhelm your mower.

Good luck!

Edit:

for reference, here's the "property master" without any attachments:

Mansfield+Property+Master+w+2+Attachments_R.jpg