Repairing hydraulic line to power steering

/ Repairing hydraulic line to power steering #1  

lowandslow1

Tractor
John Deere 1530 Diesel
I have a '69 JD 1530. The 3/8" line from the hydraulic pump tee fitting to the steering fitting wore a hole in the tube. Looking at replacing the line with a flexible hose with flare fittings on the end instead of trying to bend a replacement to match the original. There's room for the OD of the hose throughout the 20" of run. Wondering if anyone has done this and what the angle of the fitting flare is. 37 or 45 degrees. Thanks.

/ Repairing hydraulic line to power steering #2  
Can you not just take the worn through line to a local hydraulics shop and they will tell you the fittings you need on the flexible hose?
Am I missing something in your description that makes this repair more complicated?
Dave M7040

/ Repairing hydraulic line to power steering #3  
There's room for the OD of the hose throughout the 20" of run. Wondering if anyone
has done this and what the angle of the fitting flare is. 37 or 45 degrees.

I use hoses instead of hardlines in some places. You can also buy ready-made hoses of standard lengths
quite cheaply mailorder from numerous places like SurplusCenter, AgriSupply, dealers on eBay, etc.

Your fitting is almost certainly a JIC 37, a common hyd fitting. 45-deg fittings are usually for gas.

/ Repairing hydraulic line to power steering #4  
braze the hole

/ Repairing hydraulic line to power steering #5  
Your fitting is almost certainly a JIC 37, a common hyd fitting. 45-deg fittings are usually for gas.

Thanks for that info!

Does that hold for Kubotas also?

I've been taking my hoses to a hydraulic shop but when I asked them last time the guy said "I don't know what the fitting is, we just have a bunch and I screwed it in and it fit". It was like he didn't want to tell me because he knew I'd buy some online.

/ Repairing hydraulic line to power steering #6  
Does that hold for Kubotas also?

I have had Kubotas with JICs, yes. They also use (or used to use) some metric O-ring stuff. I
don't think they use any pipe thread stuff, IIRC. Most common fittings on newer tractors seem
to be JIC, O-ring-boss (ORB), O-ring face-seal (ORFS), and metric O-ring.

Years ago, all my hydraulic hoses and fittings came from a shop in town, owned and run by
and acerbic, but helpful old man. Expensive, yes, but that was before I found online suppliers.
He is gone, and the current brick-and-mortar alternatives are few and awful.