1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #1  

9_Mile

1/2\" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit

Looking to get a 1/2" drive socket set for my Kubota L4630, Bushhog, box blade & tiller - plus car, truck & trailer maintenance. It'll be a mix of metric & inch sizes; expect up to 1-1/4" max. I got along with 3/8" drive when it was only cars... I want to start out with a good basic setup, probably Craftsman or equal; about $100 max for new stuff. Will add extra sockets etc. later as needed. My questions:
- 6 point or 12 point? I'm leaning toward 6 point for strength, but realize 12 point may be better in tight spaces.
- Standard depth or Deep sockets most useful?
- Useful accessories to start with?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experiences.

John

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #2  
Re: 1/2\" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit

If you want to get away on the "cheap", then start your 1/2" drive set where your 3/8" set leaves off. Personally, I have both and prefer to use the 3/8" most of the time. Rarely is there a time that I need the power of the 1/2" drive set and when I do, I use the longer of the two ratchets. I find the 1/2" almost clumsy to use in many instances. Just remember, don't force it....... get a bigger hammer... For those really stubborn rusted on bolts...... that is what the 24" pipe extension is for... just slip it over the handle..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit

Junkman, I know what you mean about the easier to use size of the smaller 3/8" drive; just thinking of the "larger hammer" projects such as torquing rear wheel bolts. .... The 24" pipe extension works with the lifetime guarantee on my old Craftsman socket sets /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #4  

FYI: Sears has some sales on sets coming up in the early part of January.

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #5  

I do a lot of wrenching and some of my Craftsman mechanic's tools are 35 years old. Junkman makes a good point about the 3/8 drive being the most frequently used, on older vehicles the engine compartments were huge and there was a lot of room to swing 1/2 drive ratchets...not today.

The ratchet I use most is a 3/8 drive flex head with a long handle, an assortment of extension bars from 1 1/2 to 10 inches is very valuable. Deep sockets are handy for work on U-bolt nuts, wheel lugs, and spark plugs, but little else. And while I have cheater bars for extra leverage, no way will I use a 3/8 drive on a lug nut or anything that requires over 80 foot/lbs of torque. While 95% of my mechanics tools are Craftsman brand, when I needed a set of 3/4 drive sockets I went to Harbor Freight. Considering how infrequently I use that size it was a wise choice. I envy the guys who can afford the Craftsman 3/4 drive set.

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #6  

To each his own, but I've got a touch of arthritis and I typically reach for the 1/2" first because it is easier to grab onto the larger size handle.

But for my last project on my tractor the entire time was spent using a 1/4" wrench.

Seems like the older tractors need brute force and the newer tractors have tighter spaces to get into.

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #7  

Don't buy deep sockets for general use, because it's more difficult to keep them straight when applying side force. I only have 3/8" deep sockets but mostly use the shorter ones in 3/8".

Luckily, the huge nut on my Gravely bushhog is the size of the short wrench that DR gave me for holding the spindle on my tiny DR electric mower. I use it and a hammer to get the nut on the Gravely off and on.

I find the long handle of the 1/2" drive useful to remove the nut on the blade of my Lawnboy. It's awkward though. Wish I had the socket in a 3/8" for the removal and for putting the nut back til nearly tight.

Get yourself a good 1/2" drive torque wrench.

Ralph

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #8  

John I have used Craftsman sockets sets for years and I can't say enough good things about them. Watch the sales and I am sure that you can pick up on a socket assortment sale at a good price. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have both 3/8 and ½ sets but tend to use the 3/8 the majority of the time. I only get the ½ stuff out for a stubborn attachment.

Also be forewarned that there are a few here that refer to Craftsman as Crapman tools. While they are entitled to their opinions I do not agree with them.

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #9  

Hi...

Like most others... have Craftsman & mostly use 3/8" set on the tractor... 1/2" drive occasionally...

I find a 3/8" stubby-handle drive with pivoting head very useful and is my 1st choice usually...

Maybe more economical to get the few specific size regular wrenches (open/box-end) and/or a top-end adjustable wrench for the big nuts/bolts... ...once they are loose... the 3/8" drive will turn 'em...

Tag/garage sales can be a good source for real inexpensive wrenches...

Dave...

/ 1/2" Socket Wrench Set Starter Kit #10  

"- Useful accessories to start with?"

You got some good answers from folks who obviously know tools, and none of them mentioned what I am about to say, so maybe this is just the engineer in me talking but...

I would add a torque wrench to the list.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

"Never spur a horse when he's swimmin'."