Security & Theft Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted...

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #21  
Good insurance and take the right fuse out.

If they are serious about stealing it, they will. All you can do is slow them down and insure it.

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #22  
Another option is a switch going to the fuel solinoid. That way the tractor will turn over until the battery is dead but not start. Or a battery disconnect switch. Even better both.

If a thief really wants it there is nothing you can do to stop them only slow them.

Gordon

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #23  
not sure u can toatally protect your tractor from being stolen, the same as u can not protect your home totally. the best u can do is to make sure u are insured, and do all that u can to protect. but alas, the theives are out there! make it a difficult for them as u can, but u can not stop a determined thief.

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #24  
This is one of those.. 'if they want it bad enough.. the'll get it.'. There was a discussion on this a while back, and it was pointed out that there isn't really anything that a set of torches, or a bolt cutter won't remove in time... that is the key.. time. Short of dismantling major components of the tractor.. it is still able to be towed off.. even if they use a forklift... etc.

Generally though.. just make it so the casual thief can't get it... ie remove battery.. or a tire.. etc.. chain it up.. etc. remove fuel.. etc.
Armed guard...

Soundguy

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted...
Removing/replacing a "key" fuse is a good one too...

Probably will cable the implements to the tractor too...

Recommend any "top-end" security locks (besides Kryptonite) to secure the cable ends ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks...

Dave...

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #26  
Dogs are a good deterrent to theives.

Not sure it would work in your situation, but parking the tractor in a fenced area with a couple of big dogs would keep most casual and even some amatuer theives from messing with it.

- Rick

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #27  
As Roy Jackson said "I'd worry more about vandals then thieves".
I would concentrate more on keeping people away from it than keeping them from making off with it. If they can get to it, but find out they can't steal it, they will try their best to destroy it. Your insurance may pay for repairs, but, trust me, your tractor will never be the same. ( high chainlink fence, barbwire around top, heavily chained and padlocked gate), then put a tent or shack around that to hide it.

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #28  
My theft deterrents have not lost anything in 5 years. They even deter the Alarm Co salesmen /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now if I could just keep them in the fence.....

Attachments

• 356565-Bear & Mattie Medium Web view.jpg
    356565-Bear & Mattie Medium Web view.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 180
   / Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #29  
My tractor is garaged but when I leave for any length of time I sometimes think about putting up the ROPS and placing a padlock in its pin holes. Only way out then would be to knock out the front of the garage. That may get some attention from the neighbors!

/ Preventing Theft... Ideas Wanted... #30  
That is a REALLY original idea, putting the ROPS up and locking it. I keep my JD in a 110 year old barn that has a solid oak 10 inch square header over the exit door, set into 12 inch square upright posts. Would be interesting to learn which would give first, the header or the ROPS. My money would be on the header !!