INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Hi folks, looking for some quick help.

I recently picked up an old pull behind brushog and I've been "restoring" it (new tires, bolts, belts, hydraulics, PTO shaft, paint, etc...) to either use or sell.

Finally finished it today and hooked everything up for the first test run. The gearbox had been empty, as it was sitting for quite a while, so I filled it up with gear oil.

Turned her on and started cutting, and she cuts like a beast. Very nice, operates perfectly. However, she immediately started leaking gear oil like a flood ... from somewhere on the bottom of the gearbox. I'm assuming a seal is bad at the bottom shaft where the bottom pulley is.

Now, I wanted to see how she would do, so I mowed with her for about 30 mins, and everything was fine.

So here's the dilemma: obviously I need to take everything apart to find out where the leak is, and/or if the gearbox will be salvageable or will need to be replaced. But, I need to use it for most of the day on Sunday, & I won't have time to fiddle with it for at least a few weeks.

The gearbox lost all the oil during use, probably within the first few minutes.

QUESTIONS:
1) can I use it all day on Sunday without oil in the gearbox?

2) If I do, what is the worst case scenario for the gearbox, and what is the best case scenario?

3) since the oil is so thin that it leaks out immediately, can I fill the gearbox with a heavy grease that will stay in longer?

I'll try to post pics if my phone will let me, but here's the info on the brush hog:

Ford 8ft twin blade cutter, hydraulic lift, cuts just fine behind my Massey 1648 (48 HP... actually, the tractor didn't seem to know it was there).

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #2  
Fill with heavy grease.They say "corn head"grease if you can find it.I filled my old BH with automotive grease and it works fine and runs cool.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question
Fill with heavy grease.They say "corn head"grease if you can find it.I filled my old BH with automotive grease and it works fine and runs cool.

If that gets hot, will it thin out and leak as well?

Just checked at my local farm supply store, they did not have corn head oil, but they had mystic # 2 ... will that work?

ForumRunner_20140822_154745.png

ForumRunner_20140822_154805.png

ForumRunner_20140822_154821.png

ForumRunner_20140822_154835.png

ForumRunner_20140822_154849.png

ForumRunner_20140822_154858.png

ForumRunner_20140822_154939.png

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #9  
Try a dealer that sells and services harvesting equipment,ie combines.

/ INPUT PLEASE: brush-hog gearbox question #10  
Read that, thx ... ok so that guy was looking for # 0 or # 00 grease to replace corn head oil. There was mention that he mixed # 2 grease with 85 weight gear oil when in a pinch. So, does that mean that # 2 grease will be too thick? Or, can I still use it?

Reason I mentioned corn head grease is, if the shafts have a ridge worn in them from a failed seal, there is really only 2 cures, grease or building up the worn part and returning the shafts and/or a wear collar/seal set and Corn head grease is a whole bunch cheaper. In fact, you can just use a premium syntheric grease with a high melting/pout point. Just make sure the box is full. I did that with my bandsaw in the shop. The seals gave out so I drained what was left of the 90 weight, drilled a small relief hole in the casting at the highest point, drilled and tapped a threaded hole for a zerk at the lowest point and pumped in grease, in my case Mobil synthetic (orange) grease.

Corn heaf grease is a bit thinner (and cheaper) but any will do so long as it's not a clay based grease because that will harden eventually.

It weeped a bit around the seal but it's been goling strong for about 6 years now and I use it quite ofteh.