Traction Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #1  

frankwintroub

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have owned the Kubota B2710 for about 1 year and half. It has a loader, and 72 mower deck. It had just under 1300 hours when I bought it and has 1400 give or take now. About 2 weeks after I bought it from the dealer all the seals started to leak. So bing had them all replaced, and the dealer cut the cost in half - still just over $1000 - ouch. Then last week while pushing on a 6" thorn tree bang and this awful metal gear grinding noise.

Turns out the U bolt coppler on the 4 wheel drive blew up and the rear pro isn't working - so minimum $1200 for the 4 wheel drive and they haven't worked on the PTO. So now I'm thinking isn't this a lot of problems on a tractor that looks real clean with bright paint and very few dings but yikes.

So the question is should I keep it and think not much else will happen, or did I like my Mom used to say " buy someone else's problems". I'm not very mechanical, and the tractor was purchased to pull downed trees out of the 14 acres of timber I own, to mow a little and to grade the gravel road in our development. Mostly light use and hobby type stuff.

Should I keep it is the question? Any help appreciated.

Frank In
South East Iowa

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #2  
I think you are going to have to fix it or give up even more value at sale. It is also my opinion that the smaller Kubota tractors are lightly built. I had a L2250 and while it ran smoothly and handled well, I kept bending/breaking/replacing parts until I realized it wasn't built for my use.

If you were pushing on a 6" tree, I suspect you are like me and need a stronger tractor for heavier work. My opinion is to look for a heavier utility tractor

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it
I think you are going to have to fix it or give up even more value at sale. It is also my opinion that the smaller Kubota tractors are lightly built. I had a L2250 and while it ran smoothly and handled well, I kept bending/breaking/replacing parts until I realized it wasn't built for my use.

If you were pushing on a 6" tree, I suspect you are like me and need a stronger tractor for heavier work. My opinion is to look for a heavier utility tractor

Thanks. I hope it's not true cause this is simply at sort of toy, but then I do have fun with it and get slime chores done. Pulling logs, mowing and blading the road. Not exactly heavy use but clearly too much for the 2710 at thus point. Well c.

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #4  
IMHO, pushing on a 6" tree is above & beyond the capabilities of your tractor.

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #5  
I have owned the Kubota B2710 for about 1 year and half. It has a loader, and 72 mower deck. It had just under 1300 hours when I bought it and has 1400 give or take now. About 2 weeks after I bought it from the dealer all the seals started to leak. So bing had them all replaced, and the dealer cut the cost in half - still just over $1000 - ouch. Then last week while pushing on a 6" thorn tree bang and this awful metal gear grinding noise.

Turns out the U bolt coppler on the 4 wheel drive blew up and the rear pro isn't working - so minimum $1200 for the 4 wheel drive and they haven't worked on the PTO. So now I'm thinking isn't this a lot of problems on a tractor that looks real clean with bright paint and very few dings but yikes.

So the question is should I keep it and think not much else will happen, or did I like my Mom used to say " buy someone else's problems". I'm not very mechanical, and the tractor was purchased to pull downed trees out of the 14 acres of timber I own, to mow a little and to grade the gravel road in our development. Mostly light use and hobby type stuff.

Should I keep it is the question? Any help appreciated.

Frank In
South East Iowa

A 1300 hour tractor with bright, shiny paint may have been a well-used unit that was prettied-up for a quick sale, just like they do with used cars. The fact you had "all the seals" leaking two weeks after you bought it suggests it had already lived a hard life despite its appearance, and while it's unfortunate, it can't be too surprising that something in the drive train would also be wounded and about to fail. A B2710 is indeed a light tractor, less than 2,000 lbs. They were not intended for bulldozing 6" trees, but if it was healthy to begin with, it would have sat there tugging/pushing an immovable object, happily spinning its little wheels in the dirt until you figured out it's the wrong tool for that sort of work.

Which leads to the conclusion you need to find a more suitable tool for tree removal work if that's what your plans require.

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it
Thanks. I am thinking u r right that it had a hard life before me.

I'm told now the rear pto doesn't work so yikes it's mounting problems.

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #7  
Frank,

Sorry to hear that the dealer sold you a beat up tractor. ! was fortunate to find a used 2012 B3200 Kubota tractor with 28 HR of use. Otherwise with high hours it becomes a gamble. Kubota recently introduced a new line of tractors including a B3050 which has a 33 hp engine. However, they still have plenty of the new B3200 (32 HP) for several thousand dollars less. Keep in mind this is a great tractor but as others stated " It has it limitations". If you are removing a lot of trees you may want to consider a bigger tractor or one with a backhoe attachment for removing the stumps.

Good luck!

Tobyone!

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #8  
Then last week while pushing on a 6" thorn tree bang and this awful metal gear grinding noise.

Turns out the U bolt coppler on the 4 wheel drive blew up and the rear pro isn't working - so minimum $1200 for the 4 wheel drive and they haven't worked on the PTO.

Was the mower deck on or off the B2710 when this happened?

Last edited:
   / Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #9  
The tractor was purchased to pull downed trees out of the 14 acres of timber I own, to mow a little and to grade the gravel road in our development. Mostly light use and hobby type stuff.

You have timber skidding as your primary objective, hardly light use.

You are expecting too much from a small tired, 1,800 pound tractor.

/ Kubota B2710 problems and wondering if I should keep it #10  
If you are removing a lot of trees you may want to consider a bigger tractor or one with a backhoe attachment for removing the stumps.

At least as important is shielding under the tractor. In the 'B' series (I owned a B3300SU) a lot of connections are routed underneath and are vulnerable to brush. Some dealers are willing to fabricate a 3/16" shield for the undercarriage but, of course, this costs and you lose some ground clearance.

I had to move up to a "Grand L3560" before I found a really well shielded undercarriage from the factory. Now I bull through the thickest stuff imaginable, 'hogging, with no problem.

So if you decide on another tractor, crawl around underneath.

Last edited: