Traction Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #31  
well, I don't know if I will need them or not, but I just ordered a pair of rear wheel spacers (2") and a pair of rear when chains, I went with the 2 link chains for more on the ground if needed. I would rather have them and not need them, than not have them and need them desperately!

t need them than n

All it takes is one morning with freezing rain turning back to snow for those chains to be paid for. Wet ice is about as close to zero traction as you can get and being heavy only lets you slide down hill faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64HJrTFJEG4

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #32  
Chains work great on my BX25 (v-bar type), but don't forget they can be really rough on paved surfaces, and I park on a sheet of plywood in the garage when I have them on, in order to protect the concrete floor.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #33  
bearskinner,
We NORMALLY get between 15 and 24 inches a year. BUT, there is usually some ice mixed in with that. Dave

15-24" per year? We get that much per snowfall. I get plenty of seat time each winter with an average annual snowfall of 120" or so. On average we have 66 days that some snow falls each season. Loaded tires, chains, and extra weight get us through.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #34  
bearskinner,
We NORMALLY get between 15 and 24 inches a year. BUT, there is usually some ice mixed in with that. We have hills here. To get from my house to the County road at the top of the hill is about 700' distance. In that distance the road first goes down about 6' in the first 150', THEN goes up about 35' in the next 100' then gradually slopes up to the County Road. In the past I cleared it with a 2WD Snapper and a blade. Hydro unit finally gave out using it for that and mowing the 4 steep banks we have in the summer. I'm now using the BX with FEL to clear the road. I'm not that great with the bucket, so I mess up the gravel a bit. I think I would be better if I had a frame mount blade for it. Last year we had about 1.5 inches of ice under the snow. Got a total of about 28 inches for the year. Except for the ice, I didn't have any problems getting out with the BX. used it to got 1/2 mile to mail box. It takes a while to clear the road, but I'm not complaining. Retired, so no REAL big hurry to get around. We are pretty much "Home Bodies" anyway.

Please let my know how your set up works out. E-mail me silentkingfisher42@centurytel.net.

Dave

Take a look at the Edge Tamer from 403 Forbidden. They have some pic using a FEL for plowing and not digging into the gravel. I am thinking of trying a set myself.

Eric

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #35  
Seems like all of you guys have it covered, Last year with my bx2370 I plow snow with a 5 ft rear blade on the back and no FEL on front weights or fluid in the front tires. It plowed okay but I wish that I could have done a better job with it but it was our first winter with the tractor so that kind of contributed to that as well. This year me and my dad just bought the FEL for the tractor and found out that it weighs 507lbs so that will be good front end ballast to go along with the rear blade with winter and we run industrial and no chains. This winter hopefully will be better and easier when it comes to plowing with it.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #36  
Seems like all of you guys have it covered, Last year with my bx2370 I plow snow with a 5 ft rear blade on the back and no FEL on front weights or fluid in the front tires. It plowed okay but I wish that I could have done a better job with it but it was our first winter with the tractor so that kind of contributed to that as well. This year me and my dad just bought the FEL for the tractor and found out that it weighs 507lbs so that will be good front end ballast to go along with the rear blade with winter and we run industrial and no chains. This winter hopefully will be better and easier when it comes to plowing with it.

In St. Albans VT you will get a day when you need chains and fluid in the rears. Might as well fill the rears anyway as it makes everything you do with the loader easier. Mother nature will be along shortly to drive home the point. Keep warm and safe.;)

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #37  
I don't know but I guess that I will have to find out!

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #38  
I have the same setup and found if I removed the backhoe the machine moved snow much better.

My original thinking was the additional backhoe weight would benefit plowing. In reality, the rear axle acted as a fulcrum or pivot and as the weight built up in front of the plow the front wheels would lift making steering very difficult. Once I removed the backhoe and used 4 wheel drive, plowing snow became much easier.

I had the same experience. Dropping the BH was the single biggest improvement for my BX25. With the BH on, there were times that the front wheels would lift off the ground due to the bite on the front blade.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #39  
Hi, Just plowed my first BIG snowfall here in Upstate NY, 12+ heavy & wet. Used the loader, and set the blade angle at about 10 degree tip. I have R4s and a solid 385 lb 3 pt hitch weight block. Driveway is 300+ feet with a 90 degree bend halfway, total area is 5000 sq ft.

Can only say one thing. I LOVE THIS TRACTOR.

Ran that snow all the way to middle of curve the pushed off to a storage area with zero issues. Took have the time of my old snowblower and was drinking coffee and smiling the whole time. Finally got my wife to admit that the BX25D is a TOOL, not a TOY.

Getting a Quick Attach Blade as soon as possible though, have to have that angle capability.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question
well I installed by hydro angle blade over a week ago, and its still in the 50's here in N Idaho. just raining and warm. I have loaded rears, 2" spacers and chains at the ready.......... crazy weather, who knows