Traction Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #1  

bearskinner

Tractor
Kubota BX25D, Craftsman Platinum 24HP V twin
I am waiting for delivery on my BX25D. I ordered the 60" snow blade to plow a 300' gravel driveway, and approx 2000' gravel road to the street. Here in N. Idaho we probably wont get more than 12"s a day, and the driveway is just about flat level ground. How does this little tractor do traction wise pushing snow? are spacers and tire chains needed for any of you fellow users plowing snow?

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #2  
I had a BX22. It depends on what kind of snow you get. 12" of wet heavy snow will be a tough job. Light fluffy stuff will be ok. I kept the BH on for extra weight and just in case I got hung up in a snow bank to pull myself out.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #3  
I have the same setup and found if I removed the backhoe the machine moved snow much better.

My original thinking was the additional backhoe weight would benefit plowing. In reality, the rear axle acted as a fulcrum or pivot and as the weight built up in front of the plow the front wheels would lift making steering very difficult. Once I removed the backhoe and used 4 wheel drive, plowing snow became much easier.

While this plow is heavy, we built, and rugged, having to change the plow angle by hand each time is a real pain in the ***. I'm thinking adding a couple of hydraulic cylinders and control valve would make plowing much more enjoyable...

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question
I'm thinking if its going to snow for a couple days straight, it would be a good idea to make a pass twice a day to keep it at a more manageable level. If I can just keep it knocked down, I wont have to worry about any thawing, freezing cycles either. I'm off work forever in 5 more weeks, so Ill be able to keep an eye on things. just got word there delivering it now, and I'm 1,000 miles away!

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #5  
I had that blade setup on my first BX and I am shopping hard for one for my new BX. I found it to be a snow fighting machine. Traction is very good if you have turfs, filled turfs and wheel weights, etc. Also, don't wait until all 12" is on the ground. Attack it in 4-6 inch increments and plow it out really wide. Give yourself a place to plow the next snowfall and the next snow fall. Chains would make a dozer, for sure. Never had used chains, however.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question
The nice thing about my roads is there's a large depression at the end of the driveway, like a shallow swimming pool to push all the snow into. The road that feeds to the main paved road, has a great trench all along one side to fill too. This will be my first winter in this house, so Ill have to see how they work, but it appears to have been built by someone who knew the correct way to add drainage and push off. I do not have turf tires, just the mild industrials, but the Sales person who is delivering my tractor now is going to take a look at the lay of the land and recommend or not adding the wheel spacers and chains. He lives close and knows the snowfall in the area. Waiting for some home pics and word from my wife now.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #7  
I plowed all last winter with a blade I fitted. Pics here First thing I would do is changing the blade edge with the horse mat that people add, or make a pipe edge, so it wont dig rocks up.third would be a wing to get it over farther, after the first pass, in heavy snow, or icy underneath, I find your front end will slipover if you push her too fast,, I tried shortened sheet metal screws,in my ags. I lost every one, so attempt 2 will be gluing them in. Putting rainex on the blade will make the snow slide off better also. and if its salt in the area, spray every exposed metal. I used acf50 on my aluminum center frame as well.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #8  
I am waiting for delivery on my BX25D. I ordered the 60" snow blade to plow a 300' gravel driveway, and approx 2000' gravel road to the street. Here in N. Idaho we probably wont get more than 12"s a day, and the driveway is just about flat level ground. How does this little tractor do traction wise pushing snow? are spacers and tire chains needed for any of you fellow users plowing snow?

bearskinner,
that is the set up I've been thinking about for my BX2350. I used the FEL the last 3 years with great success. Only problem was me being unskilled with bucket, I dug into gravel drive quite a bit. I'm hoping the frame mounted front blade will work better. I did load the rear tires with fluid for extra traction. I kept the rear tiller on for better balance lifting the bucket full of snow.:2cents:

Let me know how it works with your set up. thanks.

Dave

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #9  
I wouldnt worry about traction issues. Just to be fair - its not a pickup truck with a heated cab and is heavier therfore its easier to push. I used my BX to plow snow just fine with turfs, but it really does help if you add more weight in the back and in tires. I have plowed northeastern storms here just fine, just as long i remember its a small tractor and it works in deep snow when taking small bites. If you have the time, I'd be out there plowing snow 6 inches or less to make it a breeze during cleanup, last snowfall but we all know it doesnt work out that way.

/ Kubota BX25D with snow plow traction question #10  
I plow with the same 60 inch blade and have no traction problems, and have a fairly steep portion in my driveway. I have fluid filled turfs and no other rear weight. No experience using it other than with filled turfs...

I will second Nightforce's comment that getting the hydraulic blade angle option is the way to go, it's sweet!