Tier 4 info

/ Tier 4 info #31  
I purchased my Kubota L5460 with a cab in June. I have about 40 hours on it now and it has gone through one regeneration at approximately 35 hours. On my tractor the Auto-Regeneration is the default setting when the engine is started and I leave it there. When it did its first regeneration, I was mowing and running the engine at 2400-rpm. I was watching since I check the soot level regularly to see what its doing out of curiosity. The only thing that was different during regeneration was a light on the dash indicating it was in regeneration. Regeneration ran for about 20 minutes and when I checked the DPF soot level it was back to 0%. There was no change in engine speed, power or sound. If I had not noticed the Regeneration Indicator light on the dash, I wouldn't have known it was happening.

This is my first Tier 4 diesel and I was curious how it worked. I read the explanation in the Owner's Manual thoroughly and understood what would occur and it did exactly as was instructed. I am very pleased with the tractor and its performance has been beyond my expectations. I've been driving tractors (ranging from JD Model L to a 350-hp Steiger) for over 60 years and this is the best one by far.

Before purchasing my tractor, I was concerned about the air conditioner keeping me cool on 100 degree days. I'm happy to report the air conditioner in the cab is great. I have outside air selected and running the fan speed on 2 (1 is slowest speed and 4 is the highest speed) and it keeps me very comfortable in 100 degree days in the full sun. On partly cloudy days at near 100 degrees with the fan speed on 2, I actually get cold when a cloud passed over and shades the sunshine for very long. After a hot dusty afternoon mowing, I and my clothes are still clean at the end of the day.:D

Bill

This is good to hear. I was hearing you have to park the tractor. Mowing is definitely a tax on the PTO so this sound like most any PTO work can be done while regen is in progress.

/ Tier 4 info #32  
Oh wow, that's awesome. Mine is not anywhere near that complicated. It has hours. That's it... lol. You have several models in your sig, which one are you referring to?
The one to which I am referring is the Kubota M135GX. The L5740 is also Tier 4 interim but in that power class they don't clean up the soot until Tier 4 final (60 series). JD 6230 is Tier 3, probably the most troublesome of the bunch but also gets used the most. The JD 7720 is Tier 2 and rock solid. The NH TS115A is also Tier 2 keeps running but it has warning alarms beeping constantly (we think defective sensors). The L5740 will probably get traded on a Tier 4 final once it is paid off in 2 years.

/ Tier 4 info #33  
The one to which I am referring is the Kubota M135GX. The L5740 is also Tier 4 interim but in that power class they don't clean up the soot until Tier 4 final (60 series). JD 6230 is Tier 3, probably the most troublesome of the bunch but also gets used the most. The JD 7720 is Tier 2 and rock solid. The NH TS115A is also Tier 2 keeps running but it has warning alarms beeping constantly (we think defective sensors). The L5740 will probably get traded on a Tier 4 final once it is paid off in 2 years.

Any problems with your L5740? Do you use it? How many hours will you have on it in 2 years (best guess)? I wish I had a 5740, that's why I ask. Which tier 4 will you get to replace it? L6060 or something different?

/ Tier 4 info #34  
:confused:I see a lot of comments about tier 4 and about the regen issues also def fluid. I will be the first to tell you that all that is not a problem when everything is working its great. The problem comes when you have a problem such as no start low power etc. these eng are computer controlled and have a sensor for everything unless you have the ability to communicate with control device your shooting in the dark no more going to forum and saying my tractor does this any ideas because it could be any number of things that the untrained person has never heard of.
I work for a large company in the fleet service and in the truck side we bought extended warrantys for the first time after encountering so many expensive problems. not to count money spent on scanners and laptops cables and software for each brand puts it out of reach for small shops

/ Tier 4 info #35  
:confused:I see a lot of comments about tier 4 and about the regen issues also def fluid. I will be the first to tell you that all that is not a problem when everything is working its great. The problem comes when you have a problem such as no start low power etc. these eng are computer controlled and have a sensor for everything unless you have the ability to communicate with control device your shooting in the dark no more going to forum and saying my tractor does this any ideas because it could be any number of things that the untrained person has never heard of.
I work for a large company in the fleet service and in the truck side we bought extended warrantys for the first time after encountering so many expensive problems. not to count money spent on scanners and laptops cables and software for each brand puts it out of reach for small shops

Yikes !!!! My exact fears of a new purchase !!!

Maybe I'll keep Mine for a few years u til its paid for, then buy another used down the line.

Are there any L5740's left in the country new? ANYWHERE? Or L5240s (CAB TRACTOR)

/ Tier 4 info #36  
Any problems with your L5740? Do you use it? How many hours will you have on it in 2 years (best guess)? I wish I had a 5740, that's why I ask. Which tier 4 will you get to replace it? L6060 or something different?
I bought my L5740 in 2011 and now have about 600 hours on it. One breakdown - the loader control cable - lever to control valve - broke and it was down 11 days waiting for a replacement. Other than that no real problem except it sometimes sets off the smoke alarm in the garage on start up. By the way L5740s are Tier 4 interim, the L6060 is Tier 4 final. Major reason for wanting to replace it is my wife has asthma and the smoke and fumes can set off need for her inhaler while our other 4 diesel tractors are no problem. I would probably look at a L6060 or John Deere equivalent. All others out of consideration because of no dealer within 250 miles.

/ Tier 4 info #37  
I bought my L5740 in 2011 and now have about 600 hours on it. One breakdown - the loader control cable - lever to control valve - broke and it was down 11 days waiting for a replacement. Other than that no real problem except it sometimes sets off the smoke alarm in the garage on start up. By the way L5740s are Tier 4 interim, the L6060 is Tier 4 final. Major reason for wanting to replace it is my wife has asthma and the smoke and fumes can set off need for her inhaler while our other 4 diesel tractors are no problem. I would probably look at a L6060 or John Deere equivalent. All others out of consideration because of no dealer within 250 miles.

Ah very good. What are your main uses for it? When you are interested in selling in a couple years let me know. I will most likely be trading up my L3540. I'd like to stay with the interim 4.

I don't want to spread rumors, but here goes. I read on here two company's going away from DPF filters and the regen process in the next couple years. I don t recall if they were adding DEF fluid or using another method. For all I know its unicorn tears. I heard Kubota and possible Mahindra. Again, just stuff I read on here a week or so ago.

/ Tier 4 info #38  
Ah very good. What are your main uses for it? When you are interested in selling in a couple years let me know. I will most likely be trading up my L3540. I'd like to stay with the interim 4. I don't want to spread rumors, but here goes. I read on here two company's going away from DPF filters and the regen process in the next couple years. I don t recall if they were adding DEF fluid or using another method. For all I know its unicorn tears. I heard Kubota and possible Mahindra. Again, just stuff I read on here a week or so ago.
I read that Kubota was going to start selling engines in 2015 that meet Tier 4 final without a DPF and several assumptions that meant their tractors were going to get them, but I haven't seen a confirmation from Kubota. Diesels generally produce a lot of smoke on start up. That's why only the small engines that still allow a lot of soot retain indirect injection - it creates smokey starts. High pressure common rail is one of the main solutions companies have adapted. Transients like fast response and great lugging ability produce soot. Deere states that is why they have retained the DPF plus adding DEF for their most popular size ag tractors. They could get by without the DPF by slowing the engine response, no problem for an engine running a generator or the refrigeration unit on a truck, but not good for the farmer who doesn't want his engine to stall when he drops a tillage implement into the ground. However technology is always advancing and with every introduction by one manufacturer all of the other manufacturers are watching to see the resultant customer acceptance. First buyers of new offerings are competitors who want to test.

/ Tier 4 info #39  
I thought I'd jump in since I'm living with a Tier 4 final tractor, my Kioti NX6010.

Kioti's strategy is simple: As a tractor slowly clogs up the DPF, the tractor loses a bit of power. That would be bad, except the operator can start the cleaning cycle to restore power while operating the tractor with no need to sit and wait, or when the DPF clogs up enough, the tractor will start a regen cycle on its own with no loss of power and while in full use by the operator. The only stipulation is that the tractor must remain running while regenerating. As the regeneration cycle goes, lost power is restored.

A regeneration cycle can be over-ridden by the operator up the three times, before the tractor forces a regen cycle. This is so the operator can pack the tractor, say at the end of the day.

The engine runs very, very clean. No smoke has been seen, ever. No even on start-up.

The downside? I look at my tractor suspiciously when it is idling, a thing that I have never done to any diesel before.