Mowing Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180

/ Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180 #1  

enfield

Tractor
JD 2240; Kubota M8540 HDT
For a few years a used Woods 3180-3 bought from the local ag dealer has done well clipping my very rocky cattle pastures. In fact, last year I had no problems at all, having learned where to proceed with care and raise the implement to avoid hitting rocks.

That all changed last week when I eased across an outcropping with the blade tips, but then dropped the mower a bit too soon and caught the inner end of a wing blade such that its tip whacked the undercarriage near the mount for the torsion bar bushing. No problem, right? That's what slip clutches are for. WRONG!

The slip clutch didn't, and instead the wing driveshaft spun right off the outer u-joint, bending both yokes. Getting the driveshaft off for service was no problem, but removing the yoke from the wing gearbox input shaft has been a real PITA.

Messick's said there must be a snap ring inside the gearbox, but there isn't. Eventually the seller [a Southern States co-op] found the right diagram and we located a spring-loaded pin that should free the external slip-clutch from the wing gearbox shaft and allow removal of the input stub. A few hours with PB Blaster and a lot of tapping and gentle pulling have so far yielded no results.

All suggestions on how to get the clutch off and remove the yoke welcomed.

tia,

enfield

Kubota M8540HD, Woods 3180 Series 3

/ Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180
Finally got the slip clutch off by using a Snap-On puller and Snap-On rattle gun with 100 psi pushing it. When the puller shaft stopped turning, I'd whale on the clutch hub with a bfh and repeat the process. Clutch on the other side came off easily using the same rig backed down to about 40psi, no whaling necessary. So if you've got a Woods, keep the slip clutch[es] in proper adjustment and save yourself a world of trouble.

A call to the Woods Tech Support site yielded a diagram that had been otherwise unavailable, along with some good advice that facilitated removal of the inner driveshaft. Kudos to the Woods tech guys. Not even Messick's could get the right information, although the parts to fix the 3180 will come from them.

enfield

/ Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180 #3  
Did you loosen the slip clutches up and polish them at the beginning of the season? They rust in place and are virtually useless as you have experienced.

/ Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180
Did you loosen the slip clutches up and polish them at the beginning of the season? They rust in place and are virtually useless as you have experienced.

OK, so now I learn what to do to prevent further catastrophes:

Polish with what?
Driving and driven discs?

Have ordered new discs from Messick, but may as well try the old ones.

Thanks for the tip,

enfield

/ Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180 #5  
G'day I always tell people to back the clutch springs right off at the end of mowing that way when you jump on there next year they will slip and you tighten them up. I have found that this is enough slip to polish all up nicely and you do not have to pull them to bits.

Jon

/ Removing input shaft from Woods wing gearbox 3180 #6  
Jon, great advice loosening it up end of season. Yeah, the off-season is when the rust together. Definitely won't take off mowing very far without adjusting the clutch up and it is polished in short order!
Enfield, your manual should show the correct tension to adjust it back to after polishing.