Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #11  
There is nothing wrong with pressure washing an engine as long as you don't get too close to gasket surfaces. A good degreaser soaking first helps remove the oily/greasy residue. Spraying a light coat of diesel on the engine and letting it soak will do the same as a degreaser but not so good on the environment.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #12  
Since there is plenty of advice on the washing, I'll say something about the oil leak itself. It's not likely a head gasket leak, as there is oil above it on the valve cover. So the leak is more likely coming from the valve cover gasket. Since I bet the VC gasket is leaking, I'd suggest cleaning/inspecting your engine breather pipe as usually these leaks are caused by excessive crankcase pressure due to poor crankcase ventilation.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #13  
Oven cleaner also works good as engine shampoo. Even just a good pressure wash will make a big difference already. I would make sure the tractor runs first and then pressure wash the engine. After pressure washing then start the engine to dry it off. It's not a good idea to pressure wash a running diesel engine as the injection pump can be damaged.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #14  
One concern about washing is that some duel injection pumps are sensitive to rapid temperature variations. Spraying cold water on a hot injection pump can shrink the outside causing the pistons to seize. Somewhat strange because these pumps are designed to run in a downpour but I guess the incoming rain is warmed by the radiator and is not the volume a hose can produce. I have seen in some operator's manuals not to wash a hot engine.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #15  
One concern about washing is that some duel injection pumps are sensitive to rapid temperature variations. Spraying cold water on a hot injection pump can shrink the outside causing the pistons to seize. Somewhat strange because these pumps are designed to run in a downpour but I guess the incoming rain is warmed by the radiator and is not the volume a hose can produce. I have seen in some operator's manuals not to wash a hot engine.

Yep, I've ruined an injection pump by pressure washing a warm engine with cold water.
Think of these injection pumps as "fine Swiss watches", treat them gently....lol

IMO, if your going to clean a dirty engine like the one above,
make sure the engine is "cold",
spray your degreaser etc, let it sit, then use a garden hose with moderate pressure.
Always cover the IP to protect it from "shock", use warm water to clean it, baby it...lol
I've heard of "many" cases where the IP never ran right after hitting them with pressured cold water.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #16  
tooth brush, and a couple hard bristle brushes. a couple size flat head screw drivers (small to big). and some paper towels. i have used scrappers, razor blades, and a wire brushes before, but they can leave some nasty scrap marks. but if paint is already chipped and bubbling away, flaking away....*shrugs*

adding to the list... a parts cleaner can work as well. in a jamb i have used diesel itself. but ya want to keep everything contained. so your not contaminating the ground water supplies, and or the lawn.

pressure washer is all fine, but it sends crud every were. and the stuff i mention will also send crud every were as well but hopefully keep stuff contained within a few feet of tractor. "darn if you do, darn if you don't" i might suggest using hard bristle brushes first to remove majority of the build of gunk. and then go back with a pressure washer. to clean things up. more likely less splatter, and be able to get a better clean job, without having to take hood off, and clean up all the gunk from pressure washer sending it flying up under hood and every were else.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #17  
I use a pressure washer on mine, I have a Hotsey with a diesel fired water heater. I use breakthrough, their brand of cleaner, if needed. Which is not usually, the hot water will cut about anything. A little off topic, but also use their wax, run it thru the injector, just like soap. Does a really good job. LUTT

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #18  
I cover the alternator with a plastic baggy before cleaning my engine with some dawn dishwashing liquid and a garden hose. Maybe the baggy isn't needed???

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #19  
My dad bought a John Deere 2020 back in the late 70's I think, our first diesel, and after using it one day owing ragweed patch I decided to hose off all the pollen before I parked it. Left engine running and sprayed away. Engine stopped suddenly and I remember thinking this thing doesn't have spark plugs or a distributor why would water do anything to it. Tractor was under warranty and I did not tell my dad what I had done just told him the tractor just stopped. I actually had no clue the water had seized the pump but the dealer picked up the tractor, and when they brought it back they said it had a new pump. When he told us how much one of those would have cost it caused me and my dad to both sit there wide eyed. We were afraid we would not be able to afford to own that tractor. Many years later I connected the dots in the connection between the hosing of the pump and the pump failure.

I have seen other people hosing their pump while running with out consequence but for me never going to happen. I would let it cool down before washing