Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #1  

n8210

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 165
I'm working on a Massey Ferguson 165 with a Deisel engine. There's a lot of dust and grime on the surface of the engine. A rather sizable portion near the top looks to be wet with what I'm assuming is oil. (Doesn't smell like deisel) I'm thinking a leaking head gasket, but I don't think this tractor has been cranked in about a year. (Unless my brother has and didn't tell me.)
What is the best / quickest way to clean this? (I hope this doesn't sound like too dumb of a question, but..) If I disconnect the battery, could I hit it with a pressure washer and then immediately run a blower to dry it, with out doing any damage?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've attached some pics below.

Here's what it looks like near the top of the block. I'm not sure if you can realy see the glint of wettness I was talking about in this pic.
0826141530a.jpg

Here's a closer look.
0826141531.jpg

There's also some dried on dust and grime.
0826141531a.jpg

It wouldn't be complete without showing you the power steering cylinder where a bird built its nest.
(I've removed the nest. Don't worry it was already empty.)
0826141532.jpg

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #2  
I just bought some O'Reilly engine cleaner and sprayed it generously all over my old Yanmar a couple of days ago. Followed directions on the can.....spray, wait 10 minutes or so and wash off with garden hose. No pressure washer, no soap; just plain water. I did use a hose nozzle to focus the stream but not a heavy stream. Worked like a champ.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #3  
"Simple Green" works well for me. Spray on, wipe off. Good oil and soot solvent.

I would not pressure wash an engine.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #4  
I'm working on a Massey Ferguson 165 with a Deisel engine. There's a lot of dust and grime on the surface of the engine. A rather sizable portion near the top looks to be wet with what I'm assuming is oil. (Doesn't smell like deisel) I'm thinking a leaking head gasket, but I don't think this tractor has been cranked in about a year. (Unless my brother has and didn't tell me.)
What is the best / quickest way to clean this? (I hope this doesn't sound like too dumb of a question, but..) If I disconnect the battery, could I hit it with a pressure washer and then immediately run a blower to dry it, with out doing any damage?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've attached some pics below.

Here's what it looks like near the top of the block. I'm not sure if you can realy see the glint of wettness I was talking about in this pic.
View attachment 388101

Here's a closer look.
View attachment 388103

There's also some dried on dust and grime.
View attachment 388102

It wouldn't be complete without showing you the power steering cylinder where a bird built its nest.
(I've removed the nest. Don't worry it was already empty.)
View attachment 388105

Since you have a pressure washer get some engine degreaser at an auto parts store and spray everything. Let it soak to do its job then wash off with your pressure washer.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #5  
diesel engine ? ... just pressure wash away and be done with it ( wear glasses and an apron or rain suit)

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #6  
Pressure washer.
It will be fine.
I pressure wash my tractors engine a couple times a year.

Last edited:
   / Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #7  
I second the Simple Green. Spray it on, full strength, on a cool engine and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Spray off with a pressure washer (wide spray pattern, not too close) and you're good to go.

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #8  
Always used Gunk engine brite and medium pressure washer...

With cars it was my job as lot boy to take the trades and steam clean the motors at the wash stalls... always used Gunk...

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #9  
changing motors or trans up here in the 70's .... it was take the car down to the power wash shop ... clean the out side of the car , then lift the hood and power wash the engine / trans and undercarriage ...

real easy to do work when all the old nuts , bolts and parts were clean and free of gunk ... and the mess was hosed down the drain ...

/ Cleaning Dust and Oil form the exterior of a deisel engine #10  
Just use ordinary dish soap and pressure washer.

The car wash works well too.