I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #41  
Hey- don't feel bad about not thinking about theft... that means that YOU wouldn't steal another person's stuff, so of course it wasn't on your radar. I don't have that problem, but if I did, I would give consideration to a small steel shipping container. Sure, a determined thief can always bring a torch or battery powered grinder, but at least the local kids won't be going for a destructive joy ride through your woods. I have read about solar/cell powered alarms on this site, too, but you likely won't have cell service out there?
Good luck with it all!

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #42  
090812 012.jpg090812 011.jpg090812 009.jpg090812 008.jpg

This is the Kioti "den". It is a Carolina Carport. They come and build it on your place in one day. Yours would not have to be this big.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #43  
I saw this thread last week and as I was working my tractor several things crossed my mind to watch for. I have had the tractor about 2 months and have 105 hrs on it. I was figuring about 10 hrs a week so it may slow down some as the new wears off or it could pick up as the weather cools.

First thing is turning radius. I guess mine is an ag or utility tractor. I used it to plow some feed plots at the hunt club. It was tough to turn without locking the brakes and spinning the tractor. I'm cramped for room where I unload hay and store it. It was wearing me out unloading 97 roundbales last week. Everybody worries about clutching wearing them out, if you have tight spaces consider the turning radius.

The next thing is lift capacity. I up sized from the 45 to 55 hp because of greater front and rear lift. I filled a water cube about 2/3 full. I'm not sure of the exact gallons but figured around 1600
lbs. I could barely pick it up. And I had no curl. The loader specs list it at 2660 lbs at the pins.

The next one is the number of gears. This one has hi and low and 4 spds. Sometimes it just feels like I need some in between speeds. But it not a big deal.

But general dirt manure work or putting out roundbales or the pulling power it is a great tractor. I can't wait for the muddy season to see how the 4wd does. Just some things to think about.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #44  
I would be real careful with that patch of land. Some years ago I too bought a patch of land with no one around and nothing on it for camping. Today I have a house up there that I go to every weekend, I'm planning to build a garage, oh yes, and I have tractor up there too, and I'm only 34...!

I bought my tractor on a complete whim... I went to an auction looking for the cheapest thing I could find... a Ford 9N, and they had one, but right next to it was a beautiful, not much bigger, green, diesel John Deere 750. It was old, but it was my kind of old, built in 1985, by far the best year for anything with an engine in it. It was also broken, well... so to speak, the wiring was all cut up, the battery wouldn't charge, they got it started and it ran like a top, but once they shut it down, it wouldn't turn over again, and the clutch fell apart a few days after I brought it to my patch. This was a very good thing for me. I'm not afraid of 12V systems and wires, yet everyone else seemed to be so fewer people bid on it. Mind you this beauty cost more than 10X what the 9N went for, I don't regret spending that money at all, it saved me money in the past two years.

I wish I could find an FEL for it, but those are hard to come by for this model these days, yet it is still very useful. I'm currently... Ahem!... painting it... you know, so it looks as good as it makes me feel :)
Something about that JD green that just draws you in....

BTW, make sure you go diesel, it can sit for months, gasoline not so much. I also put a battery disconnect switch on mine to keep the battery alive as long as possible, no fancy electronics to reset when you disconnect the battery.

Hauling wood, clearing snow, and joyriding is what I use it for, I wish I had more grass to cut with it, oh and my nephew won't stop talking about it at school.

Best of luck, 40 acres sounds like a dream come true for this city boy :)

xp

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #45  
   / I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?
I saw this thread last week and as I was working my tractor several things crossed my mind to watch for. I have had the tractor about 2 months and have 105 hrs on it. I was figuring about 10 hrs a week so it may slow down some as the new wears off or it could pick up as the weather cools.

First thing is turning radius. I guess mine is an ag or utility tractor. I used it to plow some feed plots at the hunt club. It was tough to turn without locking the brakes and spinning the tractor. I'm cramped for room where I unload hay and store it. It was wearing me out unloading 97 roundbales last week. Everybody worries about clutching wearing them out, if you have tight spaces consider the turning radius.

The next thing is lift capacity. I up sized from the 45 to 55 hp because of greater front and rear lift. I filled a water cube about 2/3 full. I'm not sure of the exact gallons but figured around 1600
lbs. I could barely pick it up. And I had no curl. The loader specs list it at 2660 lbs at the pins.

The next one is the number of gears. This one has hi and low and 4 spds. Sometimes it just feels like I need some in between speeds. But it not a big deal.

But general dirt manure work or putting out roundbales or the pulling power it is a great tractor. I can't wait for the muddy season to see how the 4wd does. Just some things to think about.

Thanks for some great input. I have a lot of stuff now to consider that never occurred to me before. I have completely revamped my idea of a tractor. What I was thinking of is more like an old fashioned farm tractor. Now I am looking at the 4WD utility tractors, but have a lot better idea what I want.

Thanks. I am excited. I wish the surveyor shared my enthusiasm. I don't think they have started yet. I thought all that was done by satellite now.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #49  
I was thinking an old fashioned farm tractor. Now I am looking at the 4WD utility tractors, and have a lot better idea what I want.

Today's diesel tractors are much easier to use, comfortable and safer than "old-fashioned" farm tractors.

The only thing that has not changed is that it remains a wrestling match to connect a PTO shaft from an implement to the tractor's PTO output splines.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #50  
I got an L-3200 Kubota last year. Every hour on the tractor saved me four hours of manual labor, easily. Buy a loader, it is a must. In low range it will push an amazing amount of stuff. Work lights are awesome, I garage it in the winter and used it to move snow twice. Just using the bucket to clear the driveway and mailbox saved me 75% of the time I would have spent behind the snow blower and looked better.

I have not raked up a ton of hours in the last year, but every hour I spent on the tractor I got tons of stuff done that would have been impossible otherwise.

Load the tires, 4WD and I leave the box scraper or mower attached when I need extra weight in the rear. Kubota sips fuel and you can get a lot of work done with a few gallons of diesel.