I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #51  
I got an L-3200 Kubota last year. Every hour on the tractor saved me four hours of manual labor, easily. Buy a loader, it is a must. In low range it will push an amazing amount of stuff. Work lights are awesome, I garage it in the winter and used it to move snow twice. Just using the bucket to clear the driveway and mailbox saved me 75% of the time I would have spent behind the snow blower and looked better.

I have not raked up a ton of hours in the last year, but every hour I spent on the tractor I got tons of stuff done that would have been impossible otherwise.

Load the tires, 4WD and I leave the box scraper or mower attached when I need extra weight in the rear. Kubota sips fuel and you can get a lot of work done with a few gallons of diesel.

You know it has always amazed me how much work I can get done with a gallon of diesel fuel. Sure the stuff cost a fair chunk of change, about $3.65 here now, but when I think of the tons of rock or dirt or logs or brush, or whatever I can do with it, that $3.65 seems mighty well spent.. Of course there is a lot more to owning a tractor, like paying for it, and insurance and maintenance etc, but the amount of work a small amount of fuel will do is still amazing to me.:thumbsup:

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #52  
For that purpose I would suggest you get a used backhoe (Case 580, Jcb 3cx, Deere 310 etc) for this phase. Then when most of your projects are done get a 45hp tractor.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?
For that purpose I would suggest you get a used backhoe (Case 580, Jcb 3cx, Deere 310 etc) for this phase. Then when most of your projects are done get a 45hp tractor.

You mean for the pond and creek work? If so, I have resigned myself to just rent a dozer or maybe even have a dozer operator come shape the pond for me. It sounds like for what I want a days work will get it done and be money well spent. For the other stuff I am now looking at 4WD 40-50HP range stuff with a loader.

I believe looking is a fun as using might be, and maybe more fun.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #54  
I believe looking is a fun as using might be, and maybe more fun.

It is a tenet of Marketing that Anticipation is 50% of Satisfaction.

It is a tenet of Marketing that Anticipation is 50% of Satisfaction.

How true. This is one of the most friendly and useful forums I have ever been on. In this one thread I have learned more about tractors than I ever thought possible. I have had eye openers on types, uses, brands and storage. I have had an offer to come drive one of a members personal ones, people post photos to help and lots of patient answers to what I am sure are questions you guys have heard a million times. The easy answer would have been to tell me to do a forum search for past threads, but instead I got a lot of legit friendly help. For that I want to say thanks.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #56  
How true. This is one of the most friendly and useful forums I have ever been on. In this one thread I have learned more about tractors than I ever thought possible. I have had eye openers on types, uses, brands and storage. I have had an offer to come drive one of a members personal ones, people post photos to help and lots of patient answers to what I am sure are questions you guys have heard a million times. The easy answer would have been to tell me to do a forum search for past threads, but instead I got a lot of legit friendly help. For that I want to say thanks.

Well, we like to help people understand and appreciate tractors.. Now that said.. you will find some strife and hate and discontent on this forum as well.
For instance the welding forum is a showing a few disagreements right now, and of course the "friendly politics" section, which you have to sign up for to see in your profile is never very "friendly", but the general forums are usually pretty helpful and full of information.

Many of us have owned quite a few tractors, and while everyones needs are different, hopefully we could offer some friendly advice to help a new guy from making too many mistakes and make his tractor owning experience a little happier.:)

Well, we like to help people understand and appreciate tractors.. Now that said.. you will find some strife and hate and discontent on this forum as well.
For instance the welding forum is a showing a few disagreements right now, and of course the "friendly politics" section, which you have to sign up for to see in your profile is never very "friendly", but the general forums are usually pretty helpful and full of information.

Many of us have owned quite a few tractors, and while everyones needs are different, hopefully we could offer some friendly advice to help a new guy from making too many mistakes and make his tractor owning experience a little happier.:)

Pretty much any forum has the member vs. member thing going. But lots of them don't cut a newbie much slack either. Pretty cool actually to get this kind of welcome.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #58  
Just saw this thread and though I would add a couple more points to consider.

QA loader: This has been mentioned, but you really want the quick attach on the loader so you can swap implements quickly, because you really want...

Grapple: I almost didn't buy one of these because it seemed like a lot of money, but I can't tell often I use it. I got the (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) wicked grapple which works really well and it well suited to a compact tractor. The grapple will require a front hyd remote, usually called a 3rd function valve. Most tractors don't come with on of these and it is a 3rd party addition. You can get away with using on of the rear remotes, but don't. You want on thumb switch on the joystick so you can use it easily.

Rear remotes and top-n-tilt: it is nice to have some rear hyd remotes for various implements. I have 2 remotes that are used for a top-n-tilt kit where the top and one of the side links on the 3 point arms are replaced with rams. This means I can tilt and angle my box blade from the seat and it dramatically changes how well that thing functions.

A big logging chain with hooks on the end. Latching on top a large tree and dragging it out of the woods always brings a big smile to my face.

You can spend 6 months learning and planning for buying one of these. Probably not a bad idea and the shopping is kinda fun too. I would go to several auctions and get a feel for prices in your area and what kinds of things are available. And there is a blue book that gives a reasonable ballpark to use when considering prices.

Oh and if you are buying used then it is good to find a mechanic in the area that you can trust.

Just saw this thread and though I would add a couple more points to consider.

QA loader: This has been mentioned, but you really want the quick attach on the loader so you can swap implements quickly, because you really want...

Grapple: I almost didn't buy one of these because it seemed like a lot of money, but I can't tell often I use it. I got the (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) wicked grapple which works really well and it well suited to a compact tractor. The grapple will require a front hyd remote, usually called a 3rd function valve. Most tractors don't come with on of these and it is a 3rd party addition. You can get away with using on of the rear remotes, but don't. You want on thumb switch on the joystick so you can use it easily.

Rear remotes and top-n-tilt: it is nice to have some rear hyd remotes for various implements. I have 2 remotes that are used for a top-n-tilt kit where the top and one of the side links on the 3 point arms are replaced with rams. This means I can tilt and angle my box blade from the seat and it dramatically changes how well that thing functions.

A big logging chain with hooks on the end. Latching on top a large tree and dragging it out of the woods always brings a big smile to my face.

You can spend 6 months learning and planning for buying one of these. Probably not a bad idea and the shopping is kinda fun too. I would go to several auctions and get a feel for prices in your area and what kinds of things are available. And there is a blue book that gives a reasonable ballpark to use when considering prices.

Oh and if you are buying used then it is good to find a mechanic in the area that you can trust.

That does seem like a lot of money but it looks very well built. It may be something I get later, rather than sooner, just because of the money. But, clearing trees will be a big part of my land work so who knows? I am going to try to find some videos of one in action. Hopefully YouTube has some. Thanks.