I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #1  

FightNGear

Tractor
none
Ok. I am getting ready to buy some land. It is just shy of 40 acres and mostly timber with about 8 cleared. No home, 1 pond, 1 small year round live creek, some hills (it is Missouri) but not too bad.

I want to, cut wood, split it with a PTO splitter, move it with a loader, expand my pond a litter deeper and bigger, scoop a little out of the creek to make a fishing hole and finally at the age of 60 just be cool and have my own tractor to do other stuff with. I will eventually want to pour a slab and grade a drive (not paved) and whatever else people do for fun to get away from the BS of day to day grind.

I can afford 10-20K if I need to. I don't think a little Kubota or such will do the job, but don't really know.

Here a few quick questions and I really appreciate any help.

1. HP I need?
2. 4WD?
3. Should I pay someone to inspect the tractor?
4. Buy from dealer due to zero experience?
5. Does brand really matter to a guy using it like I am?
6. Am I now going to be cool? (OK I threw that last one in as humor)

I really appreciate the help.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #2  
Well, no matter what tractor, having one will make you cool-ish. I would think you'll need a backhoe for digging, but deepening an existing lake may be tricky. 4wd, for sure. I love Kubotas, but then, that's all I have owned. Buy from a dealer- not if you want to spend less than 20K, and want 30hp + and a backhoe. I would seriously consider a SSQA loader bucket, so you can switch to a plow or forks, etc. One or two rear remotes if you do much grading or, for sure, a splitter. You'll be looking for used, but that is fine if whatever was maintained and has what you want. 1000 hours or less should be "like new" in terms of remaining life. Now, for more experienced voices to chime in!

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #3  
You will be cool, especially if you buy a John Deere.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #4  
Most times tire loading on tractors is too high to dig on pond banks; sometimes too high for river banks. You need a tracked machine for ponds.

Think equally in terms of tractor weight and tractor horsepower. Weight is key to accomplishing work and providing stability.

Skid Steer Quick Attach (system) (SSQA) loader bucket is a good idea. In the future you may want a grapple in lieu of an FEL bucket with your woods, and grapples attach via SSQA.

An FEL is the most useful of tractor options. You need 4-WD if you have an FEL, in order to provide traction to fill the bucket. You need 4-WD to accomplish anything on sloped land.

Tractor brand is a low priority, except you do not want service too distant. It is expensive to have a dealer drive out with a HD truck, pulling an HD trailer, to transport your tractor four segments for service or repair. Deere and Kubota get a premium price, but their resale value is also higher, so you recover some of the initial premium.

Last edited:
   / I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?
Varmint, thanks. For the reply. Let me clear up a little. The pond is just a few feet deep and I just want to dig a little on one end to deepen it up enough for some bluegill to live all year. The creek is maybe 10' wide, but again just maybe a foot or so deep and has a big gravel bar I can see my hanging out in during the summer, but I would like to scoop out an area maybe 10x10 and 2-3 feet deep.

Both of those will depend on whether it would mess the pond up on ability to hold water, and whether the gubment has any say so in altering the creek. It doesn't start on my land or end on it, and I don't want legal hassles.

I was definitely figuring used. I don't know what SSQA is, and I read you need 4WD for a loader. I will wait for some more answers but thank you for yours.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #6  
I would suggest you go with 4wd and FEL which brand is a matter of choice I like Kubota and prefer hst over gear trans. I would also suggest you rent or hire some one to do your backhoe work since it seems like once this project is done won't have need for one. take any left over cash and but toys or I ment to say implments . I have said this before but buying tractors can be contagious and is not cureable you are as cool as you think you are no matter what anybody else thinks.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #7  
Ok. I am getting ready to buy some land. It is just shy of 40 acres and mostly timber with about 8 cleared. No home, 1 pond, 1 small year round live creek, some hills (it is Missouri) but not too bad.

I want to, cut wood, split it with a PTO splitter, move it with a loader, expand my pond a litter deeper and bigger, scoop a little out of the creek to make a fishing hole and finally at the age of 60 just be cool and have my own tractor to do other stuff with. I will eventually want to pour a slab and grade a drive (not paved) and whatever else people do for fun to get away from the BS of day to day grind.

I can afford 10-20K if I need to. I don't think a little Kubota or such will do the job, but don't really know.

Here a few quick questions and I really appreciate any help.

1. HP I need?
2. 4WD?
3. Should I pay someone to inspect the tractor?
4. Buy from dealer due to zero experience?
5. Does brand really matter to a guy using it like I am?
6. Am I now going to be cool? (OK I threw that last one in as humor)

I really appreciate the help.

Varmint, thanks. For the reply. Let me clear up a little. The pond is just a few feet deep and I just want to dig a little on one end to deepen it up enough for some bluegill to live all year. The creek is maybe 10' wide, but again just maybe a foot or so deep and has a big gravel bar I can see my hanging out in during the summer, but I would like to scoop out an area maybe 10x10 and 2-3 feet deep.

Both of those will depend on whether it would mess the pond up on ability to hold water, and whether the gubment has any say so in altering the creek. It doesn't start on my land or end on it, and I don't want legal hassles.

I was definitely figuring used. I don't know what SSQA is, and I read you need 4WD for a loader. I will wait for some more answers but thank you for yours.
First of all, :welcome: to TBN.

1. For years I maintained my 110 acres with a 36hp Ford 2600. (I still have it, and it's still a good tractor) But, I would recommend something with a few more ponies under the hood. Probably 45-50hp at least.
2. Definitely a 4WD, if it's to be used with a loader. A 2WD tractor is crippled with a loader. You'll stay stuck in that creek and pond.
3. If buying used, absolutely get someone to inspect it, as well as try it out for you.
4. Not necessarily. If you can find an individual with a good tractor that you want. (but see 3. above) You can look at thousands of tractors here: Tractorhouse.com
5. Brand is only really important on two levels: Dealer support and resale value. If it's made by man, it will break. Also, you will have periodic maintenance. If you have to call a foreign country and speak in an unknown tongue to get a part, it won't be a fun experience. Go with a brand that a nearby dealer sells, carries parts for, and works on. Down the road, if you decide to upgrade, brands like JD, NH, Kubota, etc., will be worth a whole lot more than a comparable sized Chinese model.
6. There is absolutely no way to measure the "cool factor" of having your own tractor!!! :thumbsup:

SSQA=Skid Steer Quick Attach

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #8  
Consider a skid loader instead of a tractor. Fifteen years ago before we built was looking at tractors, then someone suggested a skid loader. Still have the loader and no tractor, With tracks and pallet forks you can do most anything. They are a lot more maneuverable than a tractor and you can rent a lot of labor saving attachments. It is work a look anyway.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy?
Consider a skid loader instead of a tractor. Fifteen years ago before we built was looking at tractors, then someone suggested a skid loader. Still have the loader and no tractor, With tracks and pallet forks you can do most anything. They are a lot more maneuverable than a tractor and you can rent a lot of labor saving attachments. It is work a look anyway.

I appreciate the input. As silly as this sounds part of the reason for wanting a tractor is I just think it would be cool to have. I know that is not a very valid point, but it means something to me. And tooling around brush or bush hogging whichever is correct, seems like a great way to relax. I don't mean any disrespect, but my image of me on a weekend is as much about me and my tractor as is it about the work getting done. I am not putting down anyone who would use the skid loader, it is just not my mental image.

I am 60 and when I was a little boy my grandparents farmed in KS. I still remember riding on the old Massey Harris and Massey Ferguson stuff with my grandfather. We laughed, kidded each other, drank ice water from Skippy jars with insulation taped around them and put a gazillion (as I remember) miles on those old tractors. Part of this is to recapture some memories and part is just pure old self indulgence.

But I do thank you for your input and advice. And, maybe if I move to the land, I will get both.

/ I'm sure it is the usual question. What tractor to buy? #10  
I am with you on the pleasure aspect of tractoring. It is just a good feeling to be able to do otherwise tough jobs using a big tool that gets'r done. I could just hire somebody to plow our lane, but having the big L3130 (its big for me, small for a real farmer or a guy with 50 acres to tend) ready to go, with some of the customization I've enjoyed doing, is well worth the money. I enjoyed waxing it more than my car. Once, anyway. Its cost, I feel, is simply invested in the machine, and mostly recoverable if and when I decide to sell it- much more satisfying than just having the money invested otherwise. I will take care of the tractor.

By the way, be sure to look into 4shorts and his many great posts and videos on this site. He's a guy with great talent and the shop to see his projects to quality completion. Ditto for waxman, and many other individuals who make this site interesting.