John Deere 4310 F5 fuse and PTO connection

/ John Deere 4310 F5 fuse and PTO connection #1  

Spectre

Tractor
John Deere 4310
My 4310 has had an issue for a while now, but it appears to have gotten worse.

I have a John Deere 4310, E-Power reverser with mid mount mower deck powered by the mid mount PTO.

1. When I engage the Mid Mount PTO, the F-5 fuse blows
2. The rear PTO worked fine, so I just stopped using the mid mount deck and just used a bush hog.
3. Now, nothing works and the F5 fuse blows as soon as the ignition is switched on
4. Sometimes it will start for a few minutes, then the F-5 fuse will blow
5. I traced the wires looking for breaks and shorts...but did not find anything.
6. I isolated the relays one-by-one but the fuse still blows
7. I disconnected the plug leading to the MFWD and rear PTO and the fuse does not blow...and tractor starts normally
8. I repeated this several times with the same results...and have went through a whole lot of fuses

Can anyone offer guidance?

Thanks
Bill

/ John Deere 4310 F5 fuse and PTO connection #2  
You are on the right track. Fuse F5 is switched circuits. All the lights are on different fuses so they can be ruled out. So is the computer. This leaves the PTOs and MFWD and possibly some transmission switches (I do not have an electrical diagram). Where did you do #7 above? At the switches? before the switches? At the solenoids?

Instead of going thru multiple fuses, rig a test light across the fuse terminals (F5). This puts the light in series with the circuit. A short that would blow a fuse will just light the test light.

Reconnect everything. Switch the key ON. If the light comes ON, something is shorted to ground. Disconnect one item at a time (I would start with the switches; MFWD, mid PTO, rear PTO, any transmission switches) and reconnect until the light goes out. Next you need to determine if it is the switch or what the switch controls, do this by disconnecting what it controls (I am guessing a solenoid) one at a time and reconnecting if not the problem.

You may have to operate the switches to find the problem.

My guess is the MFWD solenoid. Some tractors energize the solenoid when in two wheel drive and if it fails default to mfwd. So if you switch mfwd ON it may no longer blow fuses if that solenoid is shorted.

It also sounds like the mid PTO solenoid is shorted.

If the light stays on with the solenoids disconnected, there is a short in the wiring to them, or possibly a bad switch.

GOOD LUCK

/ John Deere 4310 F5 fuse and PTO connection
Thanks Zebrafive, I will pursue those leads. As for #7, I disconnected the plug leading to the solenoids...right next to the solenoids, so there was only a pigtail coming from each solenoid.

Best wishes,
Bill

/ John Deere 4310 F5 fuse and PTO connection #4  
Thanks Zebrafive, I will pursue those leads. As for #7, I disconnected the plug leading to the solenoids...right next to the solenoids, so there was only a pigtail coming from each solenoid.

Best wishes,
Bill

Really sounds like bad/shorted solenoids now. I am guessing, Mid PTO and MFWD, maybe rear PTO

Really sounds like bad/shorted solenoids now. I am guessing, Mid PTO and MFWD, maybe rear PTO

A few minutes ago when I returned from work, I connected the solenoid lead and placed the MFWD switch into the engaged position. When I switched the ignition on, F5 did not blow. When I turned off MFWD, F5 blew right away. I am still trouble shooting, but looks like we are narrowing it down Zebrafive!

More info: I repeated the above steps and turned the key on with the MFWD and Rear PTO solenoid disconnected and the Mid PTO solenoid connected. When I cycled the mid PTO switch, I could hear the solenoid actuating...and F5 did not blow. So far, it appears I have a bad MFWD solenoid...and maybe the rear PTO solenoid as well.

All, thanks very much for the advice. I purchased a new solenoid for the MFWD and replaced it. Quite a messy task I will say. The tractor now starts without blowing F5, the rear PTO engages fine also. I think I still may have a problem with the mid pto though. When I engage it according to the operators manual, I can hear it engage and begin to turn as soon as I pull up on the mid pto switch...before I engage the rear pto. I also found it would also blow F5 when cycling the switch. After I disconnected the plug on it near the solenoid, F5 no longer blew when I cycled the switch. Opinions?

/ John Deere 4310 F5 fuse and PTO connection #9  
Spectre, I have a PDF of the Deere Tech manual you're welcome to, if wanted, shoot me your email

Joe

Thanks Joe, but I already have a copy.