WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ?

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #11  
There are two lines of thought with this, one is friendship has its own rewards and if you are looking for external compensation youæ±*e doing it for the wrong reason. The second reason is time and material are worth something and need to be addressed. Personally I know who my friends are and who is trying to work a deal and I am guessing this neighbor falls into the latter category. Here is how I would handle this question.
- Call a rental company and find out what they charge for similar equipment (he has)
- Tell the neighbor you will need to charge him 店 for wear and tear and fuel (give a discount if so inclined)
- Tell him you will deliver and run the equipment which mitigates damage and liability
- Tell him he will either need to do the grunt work or provide someone who will
- Everyone wins, you at least break even, you get to know him and maybe start a friendship
That sounds like a good plan if you are going to charge. Either do this or do if for free if inclined. One tree wont take long to chip up and might build some good neighbor relations however don't make a habit of working for free.

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #12  
Why not just do it for free - some day you might need a favor from him. Tell him you want him to help - builds better neighbors.

And what happens if a knife gets destroyed?

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #13  
Is this your business or is a new venture 50 dollars an hour sounds like a lot of money until you break it down everbody is quick to jump on fuel cost but that is proably the least expense you have. consider what you make on for your regular employment if your doing this as a sideline. I was always taught that what you make on a job half of that should go for equipment cost repairs and replacement the equipment was proably not free and if you break something you can go in the hole quick. think about what a repairman that comes to your house charges to just show up. If you get ever job you bid on then your to cheap. be fair honest and upfront and expect the same from customer good luck

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ?
Great thoughts so far.
This is no business for me, I'm a full time farmer and owner of a woodlot.
This guy approached me because he knows I have the right equipment for the job.
I don't want to make a fortune with this...just cover my costs.
I was thinking 50/60$ an hour, minimum 100$ for the job and him helping me with it.
Black

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #15  
Why not just do it for free - some day you might need a favor from him. Tell him you want him to help - builds better neighbors.

yup, I've been snow plowing my neighbor's driveway out for years. Never thought of charging him.

Karma comes around in different ways.

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ?
Working for free is not an option !
Neighbor can pay...just need to figure out a fair price !
Everything comes with a price....equipment ain't cheap.

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #18  
Now that I am retired either I refuse or for good neighbors that insist I tell them an addition to my wine collection is always appreciated.
LOL I then can tell how much they appreciated my help by the vintage.

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #19  
Great thoughts so far.
This is no business for me, I'm a full time farmer and owner of a woodlot.
This guy approached me because he knows I have the right equipment for the job.
I don't want to make a fortune with this...just cover my costs.
I was thinking 50/60$ an hour, minimum 100$ for the job and him helping me with it.
Black

Sounds pretty good to me. That will more than cover a tube of grease, and the fuel used. And a little pin money.

Keep the neighbor away from the feed hopper though... ;)

/ WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ? #20  
I've occasionally done tilling for neighbors - not far away and typically less than an hour of work. I'd rather not take money but some insist on giving me $10 or $20 "for fuel." Anyone know what kind of liability, insurance, etc. issues that causes?
I've wondered the same only with a snow thrower. I won't take any money because I don't want to feel like I'm obliged to help next time. But what happens if I hit their car, for example?