Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 4608 and MF GC2610 TLB

Default WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ?

I have a nearby neighbour who has a pine tree edge on his property.
    He cut all the lower branches up to 10'.
    He wants me to go and chip all his branches with my tractor and Wallenstein chipper.
    Branches are around 2-3" diameter.
    How much should I charge him on a hourly rate and be fair and still cover my costs ,make a little extra money ?
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Black

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

Any where from $35-75/hr. A good base line would be $15+$1/hp. Four hour minimum is pretty standard to cover mobilization, but if he's next door I would go down to 2 hr. Make sure you both are on the same page of favor vs hired job; in other words; neighbor doing favor damages his equipment, you feel obligated to help fix; hired contractor tears up his tractor, you note the time and don't pay anymore till its working again...

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Default Re: WOOD CHIPPING FOR OTHERS...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE ?

I would say depending on your relationship do you share/split tasks or be in the position that he could do you a favor in return? If not I would say $50 hour is reasonable for man and machine is not gouging him. Also if he is willing to assist dragging branches to the chipper would save time and cost.

When I get work done like stumps ground, its $60 an hour.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

IF you are doing all the limb dragging, feeding etc then your labor cost of say $20 per hour has to figure into the equipment rate. $50 per hour figures only $30 for the equipment. That will cover the fuel and perhaps the depreciation of equipment but not make you any money. It might be a good price for a neighbor that you like or one that might return a favor someday.

I think I would tell him that for $50 per hour, he has to help with the labor or provide an alternate if he is unable to assist to gather the limbs or it would be $70 per hour and it will take longer to do also.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

Why not just do it for free - some day you might need a favor from him. Tell him you want him to help - builds better neighbors.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Quote Originally Posted by oosik View Post
    Why not just do it for free - some day you might need a favor from him. Tell him you want him to help - builds better neighbors.
    If I were to do it this way, I would at least want him to pay for fuel.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    JD 870

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I've occasionally done tilling for neighbors - not far away and typically less than an hour of work. I'd rather not take money but some insist on giving me $10 or $20 "for fuel." Anyone know what kind of liability, insurance, etc. issues that causes?

Terry

Tractor
    Kubota M6040

My State Farm homeowners policy covers the tractor/equipment under their umbrella policy while I'm on my property. For coverage off-property I'd need a separate policy. Liability - ha,ha - I think now-a-day that's more or less determined by blood sucking attorneys.
    Ride hard or sit your butt on the porch

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Yep...depending on how close that neighbor and I were (meaning friends or just a "wave to" acquaintance)...I'd volunteer my labor and let them fill the fuel tank.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 3720

There are two lines of thought with this, one is friendship has its own rewards and if you are looking for external compensation you’re doing it for the wrong reason. The second reason is time and material are worth something and need to be addressed. Personally I know who my friends are and who is trying to work a deal and I am guessing this neighbor falls into the latter category. Here is how I would handle this question.
    - Call a rental company and find out what they charge for similar equipment (he has)
    - Tell the neighbor you will need to charge him “X” for wear and tear and fuel (give a discount if so inclined)
    - Tell him you will deliver and run the equipment which mitigates damage and liability
    - Tell him he will either need to do the grunt work or provide someone who will
    - Everyone wins, you at least break even, you get to know him and maybe start a friendship

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast