3-Point Hitch PTO/Three Point attachments

/ PTO/Three Point attachments #1  

edkemper

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 210LE, Case 580CK Series B Backhoe, 1991 WoodMizer LT40 Log Mill, 1989 JD450E Crawler Tractor, FordsonMajorDiesel
I would like to buy a minimum priced tractor to supplement my equipment list. I need to use an auger for some holes. I would use it for other chores eventually but this is about fence holes and pole barn holes at the moment.

What older tractor could I get away with at a minimum. Don't mind turning a wrench v. saving some money.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

/ PTO/Three Point attachments #2  
It doesn't take a lot of tractor to dig post holes. Your other chores may though. If I were to recommend an older tractor it would be a Massey 135 diesel.

/ PTO/Three Point attachments
I'll do a little research. Thank you.

/ PTO/Three Point attachments
After an initial limited search, I think that is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.

/ PTO/Three Point attachments #6  
If you want to do some serious fence post holes. I would lay everything out where you wanted to go and rent a bobcat with a auger. Our local feed store will rent his for 150.00 a day with the auger attachment. The down pressure makes the drilling difference. You can pull out of the hole and spin the spoil off to the side if you choose. And it is rental equipment so run it like you stole it.

/ PTO/Three Point attachments #7  
After an initial limited search, I think that is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.

Hard to argue with a Massey 135....you can get virtually any part from a number of sources, and the prices are very reasonable. Heck, even Amazon stocks common Massey parts now!

/ PTO/Three Point attachments #8  
There are several different well actually more like many different older tractors that would fit the bill for posthole digging old fords, JD's, case, oliver, or of course the massey most any of the old work horses from the past. The only thing is they all (I think) were available with independent PTO or without you really need the independent PTO so you can move the tractor without stopping the PTO mainly for vertical adjustment believe me I have two of the old fords and neither one has the independent PTO and a posthole sucks to use! When you are looking you need to try the PTO out when you are there because there just isn't any physically different look about what a with or a without look like!

/ PTO/Three Point attachments #9  
Like whistlepig said, it doesn't take a lot of PTO horsepower to turn an auger. I would think a Ford 8N would serve you well for that purpose. Lot's of parts available for them, and they are cheap. I see some occasionally as low as $1500 on craigslist, and when you are done with it, you should be able to resell and get your money back out of it. Good luck.