Tractor
    JD 210LE, Case 580CK Series B Backhoe, 1991 WoodMizer LT40 Log Mill, 1989 JD450E Crawler Tractor, FordsonMajorDiesel

Default PTO/Three Point attachments

I would like to buy a minimum priced tractor to supplement my equipment list. I need to use an auger for some holes. I would use it for other chores eventually but this is about fence holes and pole barn holes at the moment.

What older tractor could I get away with at a minimum. Don't mind turning a wrench v. saving some money.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    edkemper

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Default Re: PTO/Three Point attachments

It doesn't take a lot of tractor to dig post holes. Your other chores may though. If I were to recommend an older tractor it would be a Massey 135 diesel.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    JD 210LE, Case 580CK Series B Backhoe, 1991 WoodMizer LT40 Log Mill, 1989 JD450E Crawler Tractor, FordsonMajorDiesel

I'll do a little research. Thank you.
    edkemper

Tractor

After an initial limited search, I think that is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.
    edkemper

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Owning a Yanmar, I would look at them as well, and a great user base on this site.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Veteran Member

If you want to do some serious fence post holes. I would lay everything out where you wanted to go and rent a bobcat with a auger. Our local feed store will rent his for 150.00 a day with the auger attachment. The down pressure makes the drilling difference. You can pull out of the hole and spin the spoil off to the side if you choose. And it is rental equipment so run it like you stole it.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Case 580 Super M Series 2, Cat D3B

Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    After an initial limited search, I think that is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.
    Hard to argue with a Massey 135....you can get virtually any part from a number of sources, and the prices are very reasonable. Heck, even Amazon stocks common Massey parts now!
    Loose = not tight. Lose = to misplace. There = a place. They're = they are. Their = ownership. Advice = what you give when advising someone. Advise = the act of giving advice. Too = also. Two = 2. To = movement, direction or proximity. Brake = device that slows things. Break = separation.

"I could care less" means you care. What you're looking for is "I couldn't care less."

The things you mount tires on are WHEELS. A small portion of a wheel is the rim.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841

There are several different well actually more like many different older tractors that would fit the bill for posthole digging old fords, JD's, case, oliver, or of course the massey most any of the old work horses from the past. The only thing is they all (I think) were available with independent PTO or without you really need the independent PTO so you can move the tractor without stopping the PTO mainly for vertical adjustment believe me I have two of the old fords and neither one has the independent PTO and a posthole sucks to use! When you are looking you need to try the PTO out when you are there because there just isn't any physically different look about what a with or a without look like!
    Montana R4944
    Ford Jubliee, Ford 841, Ford 621 industrial with FEL & BH

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Like whistlepig said, it doesn't take a lot of PTO horsepower to turn an auger. I would think a Ford 8N would serve you well for that purpose. Lot's of parts available for them, and they are cheap. I see some occasionally as low as $1500 on craigslist, and when you are done with it, you should be able to resell and get your money back out of it. Good luck.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5 1/2ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

It's not how slow you mow... it's how well you mow slow!!