Deck Size

/ Deck Size #1  

rockerjbgood

Tractor
LX279
Movin to the country. I went from 1/2 acre to 3+ acres to mow. Property has a John Deere LX279 with a 48 inc deck included. Can you equip this mower with a 60 inch deck?

/ Deck Size #2  
   / Deck Size #3  
Typical deck envy case. :laughing:

Your gonna need a bigger mower to handle going up a foot in size. Like has been said, trade up.

/ Deck Size #4  
Yeah, 17 hp won't pull a 60" deck very well unless your grass is very thin and not very tall. Time to upgrade the whole ride.

/ Deck Size
I was just wondering. They didn't leave the manual and I am having trouble trying to find on line the specs for this machine. I'll probably find a book on it somewhere.

/ Deck Size #6  
Tractordata.com has some basic info on the JD you have. As others have said, it is time to go bigger. I still have a Ford 1210 that I bought used back around '92 and it runs strong. It is a diesel with about the same HP as your Deere, and is a scrappy little bugger. It handles a 60" Caroni rear mower quite well. It would definitely NOT handle a 60" Landpride I had with an earlier Kubota. That was because the Landpride deck was so much heavier.

I've had 3 different 60" decks when there was about 2.25 acres of grass. It took about 1.25 hours to mow it all. When I got the last Kubota I went with a 72" deck. With the extra width and HP I can do 3.5 acres in the same amount of time it took to do 2.25 acres with the 60" decks.

/ Deck Size #7  
"..Movin to the country. I went from 1/2 acre to 3+ acres to mow. Property has a John Deere LX279 with a 48 inc deck included. Can you equip this mower with a 60 inch deck?..."

If it were me, and if all I needed this machine to do was mow grass (the LX279 is pretty-much just a lawn mower) , I would seriously consider getting a zero-turn.

However, you might be ahead to get something more versatile, like a garden tractor or something bigger, that can handle attachements other than just the mower deck.