PTO shaft: How short is too short?

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
Just bought a CAT 1 chipper off Craigslist. Looks like the PTO shaft will have about 4 inches of overlap at max angle. Is that too short, or what is the minimum for a safe margin?

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #3  
4" is pushing it. But it also depends on how much HP and what CAT the driveline is.

If it was a cat 4 driveline behind a 20HP tractor with 4" overlap, I think that would be fine.

But 4" on a Cat1 or 2 behind 60 or 70 HP aint gonna cut it unless it was running something like a broadcast seeder.

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #4  
Some of the PTO shaft manufactures will specify 1/3 of the PTO shafts total length as overlap. I have seen other say 5 inches. Others don't specify the actual overlap, but say leave 1.5 inches of gap when the the spline to spline end is at a minimum as the implement is moved thru the normal arc of its movement. But 4 inches is cutting it thin, and of course how much load is on the shaft would figure into my thoughts. Like was said, if this was a very light load, it might be ok..

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #5  
I was just checking on the tractor supply web site for the 6' rotary cutter. I thought they had a minimum overlap shown in the PTO cutting section but I couldn't find it. I think the minimum overlap was 4" but I am not sure. If you call a dealer they could probably tell you that is if they weren't more interested in just selling you a new one!

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short?
The Bearcat chipper's 3 point is unusually low, so I'm going to make a stand to raise this thing at least 6 inches. This will also straighten out the PTO shaft and I should gain an inch or two. It looks like I will end up near 6 inches on the PTO shaft.

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #7  
The Bearcat chipper's 3 point is unusually low, so I'm going to make a stand to raise this thing at least 6 inches. This will also straighten out the PTO shaft and I should gain an inch or two. It looks like I will end up near 6 inches on the PTO shaft.

You will likely be OK

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #8  
That should be fine. There's a big difference in the required overlap with stationary equipment like a chipper or generator and the overlap needed for running a tiller or rotary cutter over uneven terrain.

And also they make "PTO extenders" about $27 at TSC.
SpeeCo PTO Extender - Tractor Supply Co.

/edit Pto Adapter $20 at Agrisupply

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short?
That should be fine. There's a big difference in the required overlap with stationary equipment like a chipper or generator and the overlap needed for running a tiller or rotary cutter over uneven terrain.

And also they make "PTO extenders" about $27 at TSC.
SpeeCo PTO Extender - Tractor Supply Co.

/edit Pto Adapter $20 at Agrisupply

Hey thanks for the link to the extension. Didn't even know they make those.

/ PTO shaft: How short is too short? #10  
6" should be fine, but if you decide you want/need more, PTO shaft tubing is pretty inexpensive. I think I aid around $39 for a 59" section from Agri Supply recently.