Ballast Water in rear tires = more stable??

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #22  
I agree. Ideally, if it means free, that's ideal. :)
Plus, weights are easy to remove if needed. Draining and refilling tires is a pain, especially if you need to save the fluid due to expense. Also, flat tire = lost fluid.

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #23  
Still stands that ideally, tires would be dry radials. Extra ballast would be bolted on cast weights.

So you have no facts as how many hours operation it would require to offset the cost of cast iron weights VS liquid ballast.

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #24  
I wonder if you could make wheel weights using cement. That would be really cheap. It might not be as much weight, but it should lower the CG.

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #25  
Guys we are splitting hairs here on ideal situations etc.. There are upsides and downsides to any approach. Upsides of liquid ballast is that it is cheaper, downsides are all the things previously mentioned about mess, and leaks etc. But tire weights are expensive etc.. Nothing is perfect in any approach to solving a problem. Each person has to weigh the outcomes and cost's for himself.

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #26  
Also, liquids cannot be compressed. Therefore, if your tire is 3/4 filled with liquid, you only have 1/4 of the air space to adjust pressure.

A cubic foot of steel weighs about 500#.
A cubic foot of water weighs about 62#.
Therefore, you can store the steel in a smaller place..... hahahahahaaa :laughing:

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #27  
Here's a very interesting study on tire inflation, singles, duals, triples and tracks. It mostly deals with traction and inflation, but one note towards the bottom referring to ballast reads:

article said:
"Type of Ballast Effects - Wheel Tractors Only
The type of ballast, whether cast on the axle or the frame, or fluid in the tires, had no effect on power delivery
efficiency or peak pull.
Some tractor and tire combinations with cast ballast at the rear were slightly less prone to experience hop than
those with fluid ballast at the rear. When hop did occur, it was easier to control on tractors with fluid ballast than
it was on tractors with cast ballast."

Whole article.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng8282/$file/Single,_Dual_and_Triple_Tires_and_Rubber_Belt_Tracks_in_Prairie_Conditions.pdf

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #28  
Interesting comments here about cast iron wheel weights versus filled tires especially because Titan was one of the companies mention. My tractor has Bobcat branded tires made by Titan. The wheels and rims are from Titan. On this tractor Titan says if additional tire/wheel weight is needed to fill the tires with liquid ballast. When I questioned Bobcat service rep, he said that to obtain weight equal to fluid filled tire using bolt on wheel weights would require a minimum of 2 100lb. weights or more if smaller weights, and Titan says the wheel dish may not be strong enough to support more than 1 wheel weight. Hanging 2 or more weights could cause extra flex on the wheel and result in the dish cracking.

Regarding fuel consumption: I have no idea if fluid filled causes any significant difference over bolt on weights, but I can say that having used my tractor for about 60 hrs. before filling the tires I use less fuel now than before. Simply because I'm not spinning the tires as easily in heavy traction loads. Getting more work done is same amount of time due to reduced tire slip. Reduced tire wear offsets any (if there is) fuel usage.

OP did not say where he is located so I have no idea what climate he is in. If in a moderate climate where freezing is not the norm water works just fine, If concerned about possibly rust from straight water, then add 1 or 2 gallons of anti-freeze to each tire before filling. Anti-freeze has rust inhibitors in it.

/ Water in rear tires = more stable?? #30  
You Southern Gentlemen have it good where you can fill your tires with water and get to work. Try that in Vermont where it gets to -30 below EVERY winter and that will not work. I have 'Rim-Guard' in mine(beet juice) and with the chains on in winter I have no problem. Steel or iron cast weights tend to collect dirt and salt between them and the rim they are bolted to reducing rim life. Also as they are balanced around the axle hub their positive effect on the tractors center of gravity is less (not zero just somewhat less) then the same weight of fluid sitting in the bottom of the tires. Set your rears wide and fill them with something right for your area. It might well save your life.